When my family was young, I just didn't know the truth about what I was feeding them.
I didn't know the difference small changes could make. Not just for their bodies, but for their behavior and their learning, for their long term health and even their future fertility. After years of feeding my family what I now call “crap food”, and listening to the “wisdom” of our doctors, I discovered the Weston Price Foundation in 2004 and was floored at what I was learning — what a bunch of LIES we'd all been told — one of the worst: they said butter was bad for us! Our lives changed radically as we switched to traditional, whole foods and natural methods of healing and wellness. We're now much healthier and rarely sick.
The process wasn't easy; there weren’t many websites out there in those days to help me through the transition and I had too many “food flops” to even count! So I began passionately researching, reading, and gathering a ton of information, and I kept trying to make real food recipes that tasted good. Finally in late 2007 I started my Kitchen Kop blog to share all I was learning with other busy moms (and some dads!), and began shining the light on the truth about food and health. Before that I was starving for clear information, and I hope to be that solid resource for you now.
My family and I live in a small town near Grand Rapids, Michigan where I’m a wife, a Mom of 4, a homeschooler, blogger, and author of Real Food for Rookies. I've got a crazy life like you do, yet we all want to feed our family meals that taste good and are good for us, but that won't take all our money or time to pull it off. Basically we want a healthy lifestyle without becoming a slave to it. I've researched a lot through the years and can’t wait to help you learn about the power of real food and natural living, all without feeling overwhelmed!
To start, if you haven't yet, be sure to sign up for email updates (and free stuff) so I can continue to help you along the way.
Next, beginners click here. 🙂
- My book is available here: Real Food for Rookies
- Click here for Advertising requests, Reader questions, Guest post inquiries, or General contact information
The Power of Real Food
“The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison.” – Dr. Ann Wigmore, ND
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
The Kitchen Kop Community
I created the Kelly the Kitchen Kop blog to support your real food lifestyle — getting there, or getting out of a rut. You really can eat a clean diet that nourishes you the way food is meant to nourish. You can feel the way your body and mind were meant to feel. Any real foodie will tell you that this lifestyle can make all the difference in your life and in the lives of those you love! Whatever your experience level with traditional food choices, I'm excited to give you the support and resources you need. I can't wait to help you move along on your journey without pressure or judgment. Click here and see all that's available to help you when you sign up for Kitchen Kop emails — there you'll find a whole library of videos, free printables, and more.
More than a Blogger…
From my home near Grand Rapids, Michigan, where I live with my husband of 30 years, I'm a Mom to 4 great kids and besides blogging I also…
- Develop free resources so I can continue to help you be well! Such as free printable guides and an online class with videos and interviews with real food rockstars. The class has the same title as my book, Real Food for Rookies. Find all of that here.
- I also wrote my book, Real Food for Rookies, to help those of you who feel overwhelmed the way I used to!
- In the past I also served as a Weston A. Price co-chapter leader for our Grand Rapids, Michigan chapter.
More than a Foodie…
As if life wasn't crazy enough, I also homeschool our kids! 🙂
The source of greatest nourishment in my life is not food, but faith. I am a Catholic Christian—I love Jesus and try my best to follow Him daily. Check out my other blog, “Christianity 101”, to read my conversion story and for answers to basic questions about Christianity. There I explore aspects of faith that always confused me before I knew God better, things I was too embarrassed to ask because I thought “everyone” was supposed to already know. If there’s a topic I haven’t covered on Christianity 101 that you’ve always wondered about too, or just don’t “get,” contact me and I’ll try to include it. (Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com.) And don’t worry, we can keep it anonymous.
Kitchen Kop Goodies
- Don't miss any posts – follow the Kitchen Kop blog via email by clicking here and you'll also get access to loads of free bonuses. 🙂
More Places We Can Connect
- Visit my shop page to find the products and resources I love.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions about the blog. Maybe I’ve already answered yours!
- Learn what started it all: the story of my food conversion.
- Contributing author in an Amazon best-selling book called, Trust Your Intuition: 25 “Natural Medicine Confessions” From Influential Women Who Chose Healing Remedies for Their Families. (Does this make me a best-selling author? Yeah, I didn't think so. 🙂 My chapter was on how we got rid of lice naturally when it hit our home!)
- Contributing writer in The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul
- Mothers of the Real Food Blogosphere from DailyFinance.com by Jeanmarie Todd
- KPFK – a Los Angeles radio station where I shared a Thanksgiving recipe (also a great interview with Chris Kresser that you won't want to miss!)
What People are Saying about Kelly the Kitchen Kop
I love your blog — it’s like my encyclopedia for real food!!”
–Amanda from OhAmanda.com
If you have not seen the KellytheKitchenKop.com blog then you are missing out on one of the premiere bloggers on healthy cooking, traditional foods and really all things related to nutrition and health.”
—Jimmy Moore from the Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb
More from blog readers/commenters:
- “A little less than a year ago, your post saved my life. It was found by my boyfriend after much research and lead us to the answers to healing all of my health problems. I wanted to thank you and let you know how grateful I am to you for writing about Leaky Gut and it’s symptoms. Thank you for doing everything the doctors could not, for giving me answers, and hope. I am happy and healed and now spreading the word about Leaky Gut.”
- “Kelly, I've learned so much from you and I am grateful. I have eliminated all the bad oils from my diet and have gone as far to make my own bone broth and I even drink raw milk. My stomach is no longer in constant pain and the diarrhea is gone.”
- “I just wanted to thank you for the information you send out and post on your blog. I subscribe to MANY blogs, all traditional food and helpful ‘natural' blogs that I love. Something about your blog really stands out though. It's very smart, simple, and easy to relate to. It's not extreme like some and it's practical from a traditional food sense.”
- “You are – for so many reasons – one of my most trusted online sources. You tell it like it is, you keep it very real, you're not a drama queen or histrionic about stuff, you just put it out there. I have shared SO MANY of your articles and posts. I read a ton of blogs and I am here to tell you that you have somehow found the secret to be whatever it is to be very successful. I feel like I know you. 🙂 Thank you for all of your phenomenal effort.”
- “There is one blog I will not EVER unsubscribe from and that is Kelly the Kitchen Kop. When I recommend real food blogs, you are the one! I do find your site easy to navigate. But most of all I find you are a real person and it comes through your posts. I like that!!! Plus you are the first person who taught me about real food. It just so happened I found you on CatholicMom.com. Thanks for all you do for everyone. Thank you for helping our family see the truth. I like your rants because I, too, like to rant!”
- “I love all your posts & love being on the email list. Thank you for all you do! In a way, you are saving lives :)”
- “I just love this blog! You aren’t afraid to talk about the Good, the Bad or the Icky… Apparently!! LOL. And I love that you always seem to have a positive spin on things. (At least as much as possible! Some things just make me mad, too, and it’s hard to be positive about it all!)…I just want to say THANK YOU for doing what you do, the way you do it! Honesty and Positivity go a long way!! Keep up the GOOD WORK here!!!”
- “Thank you for sharing your life!”
- “Your site has been a fantastic inspiration to me. I started reading your site a few months before my daughter started eating solid food. She is almost 2 1/2 years old now and is super healthy with no health concerns. My journey has been very enriched and made easier with the information you have provided. Thanks so much!”
Just Got Here?
Scroll down through these post archives to find whatever might interest you: Kitchen Kop Archives.
Kelly had a “food transformation” in 2004 after a long-time love affair with convenience foods. She began passionately researching how to eat and live better, and in late 2007, the ‘politically incorrect' Kelly the Kitchen Kop blog was born. She now loves to help others with the knowledge she has gained from switching her own family over to Real Food. In addition to blogging, she teaches an online class called, Real Food for Rookies and also check out her book with the same name: Real Food for Rookies. Kelly lives in a small town near Grand Rapids, Michigan with her husband of 30 years and 4 kids. She's also a former Weston Price chapter leader. As if life wasn’t crazy enough, she also homeschools two of their children who are still in school. 🙂
Or this one:
My family and I live here in West Michigan where I’m a wife, homeschooling Mom of 4, blogger, and author of Real Food for Rookies. My goal is to empower you to nourish your family well and feel better naturally without going crazy. I've been helping busy moms learn the truth about health and nutrition since 2007. Back then I was starving for clear information and I hope to be that solid resource for you now. Check out my blog posts below or visit my shop page to find the products and resources I love. Please say hello over on social media as well! Read more about me here.
Kelly has passionately researched how to eat and live better since the day she was FLOORED with the truth over a decade ago about the food available to us today. She lives in a small town near Grand Rapids, Michigan and is a wife, a homeschooling Mom, a blogger at KellytheKitchenKop.com, author of Real Food for Rookies and she teaches an online class with the same name, Real Food for Rookies.