We used to eat fast food a few times a WEEK…
When my family was young, I just didn't know the truth about what I was feeding them.
I also didn't know the huge difference that even small changes could make. Not just for our kids’ overall health, but their behavior and learning is affected too. I found out that well-nourished kids are much easier to raise!
Of course not every moment will be perfect, but for most…
~Learning comes easier –> which means less homework hassles.
~They go to bed on time –> so you can have a moment to yourself.
~They're more stable & behave better –> which puts less stress on parents and you can enjoy them more!
After years of feeding my family what I now call “crap food” and listening to the “wisdom” of doctors, I discovered the Weston Price Foundation in 2004 and learned how many lies we've all been told about health. One of the worst: they said butter was bad for us, but they were wrong! Our lives changed radically as we switched to traditional, whole foods and natural ways to heal. We're now much healthier and rarely sick.
The process wasn't always easy.
There wasn't much support back then to help with the transition and I had too many “food flops” to even count! So I began passionately researching, reading, and gathering a ton of information–and kept experimenting so I could make real food recipes that tasted good. I also began learning about natural health remedies and safer ways to keep my family healthy. Finally in late 2007 I started my Kitchen Kop blog to share all of this newly-found wisdom with other busy moms (and some dads!), and my first post went live January 1st of 2008. In the beginning I was starving for guidance and would often say, “Someone just tell me what to feed my family!”
So now I want to be that source of help and CLEAR information for you that I craved–I'll show you how to easily incorporate this natural way of living into your home without going crazy like I did!
More about me:
My family and I live in a small town near Grand Rapids, Michigan where I’m a wife, Mom of four, a homeschooler, owner/writer at KellytheKitchenKop.com, and author of Real Food for Rookies. I've got a busy life like you do, and we all want to feed our family meals that taste good and are good for us, but don't want it to suck up all our money or time as we pull that off. Basically we want a healthy lifestyle without becoming a slave to it. I've researched a lot through the years and can’t wait to help you learn about the power of real food and natural living, without feeling overwhelmed!
Quick Links Before Jumping to more of the Kitchen Kop Story Below…
- My book is available here: Real Food for Rookies. See my Thumbs Up book review from Sally Fallon Morell at the Weston Price Foundation!
- Click here for Advertising requests, Reader questions, Guest post inquiries, or General contact information
More Places We Can Connect:
The Power of Real Food
“The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison.” – Dr. Ann Wigmore, ND
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
The Kitchen Kop Community
I created the Kelly the Kitchen Kop blog to support your real food and natural living lifestyle. You really can eat a clean diet that nourishes you the way food is meant to. Any real foodie will tell you that this lifestyle can make all the difference in your life and in the lives of those you love! Whatever your experience level with traditional food choices or natural health, I'm excited to give you the support and resources you need. I can't wait to help you move along on your journey without pressure or judgment. Click here and see all that's available to help you when you sign up for Kitchen Kop newsletters–there you'll find a whole library of videos, free printables, and more.
More than a Blogger…
Besides blogging I also…
- Develop free resources so I can continue to help you be well! Such as free printable guides and an online class with videos and interviews with real food rockstars. The class has the same title as my book, Real Food for Rookies. Find all of that here.
- Help women find safer makeup and skincare so they can be assured they're not putting junk ON their bodies either!
- I also wrote my book, Real Food for Rookies, to help those of you who feel overwhelmed the way I used to! Again, don't miss the Thumbs Up book review from Sally Fallon Morell at the Weston Price Foundation!
- Teach a monthly health and nutrition class at our local HELP Pregnancy Crisis Aid.
- In the past I've also served as a Weston A. Price co-chapter leader for our Grand Rapids, Michigan chapter.
- I was trained as an LPN as well (Licensed Practical Nurse), and do keep my license up to date, but doubt I'd ever go back to that career because I know I couldn't keep my mouth shut about the dangers of many of the conventional meds that patients are prescribed, the vaccines, or the disgusting food they serve in hospitals and nursing homes!
More than a Foodie…
As if life wasn't crazy enough, I also homeschool our kids! 🙂
However, the source of greatest nourishment in my life is not food, but faith. I am a Catholic Christian—I love Jesus and try my best to follow Him daily. Check out my other blog, “Christianity 101”, to read my conversion story and for answers to basic questions about Christianity. There I explore aspects of faith that always confused me before I knew God better, things I was too embarrassed to ask because I thought “everyone” was supposed to already know. You can sign up for updates, but FYI: I don't have time to update that blog very often.
Want to follow my private Beautycounter social pages?
I'll add you as soon as I see your request. This is where I share more about how this company is advocating for safer beauty laws, info on sales coming up will be here too, AND often I'll have free product giveaways. 🙂
- Visit my shop page to find the products and resources I love.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions about the blog. Maybe I’ve already answered yours!
- Learn what started it all: the story of my food conversion.
- Contributing author in an Amazon best-selling book called, Trust Your Intuition: 25 “Natural Medicine Confessions” From Influential Women Who Chose Healing Remedies for Their Families. (Does this make me a best-selling author? Yeah, I didn't think so. 🙂 My chapter was on how we got rid of lice naturally when it hit our home!)
- Contributing writer in The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul
- Mothers of the Real Food Blogosphere from DailyFinance.com by Jeanmarie Todd
- KPFK – a Los Angeles radio station where I shared a Thanksgiving recipe (also a great interview with Chris Kresser that you won't want to miss!)
What People are Saying about Kelly the Kitchen Kop
I love your blog — it’s like my encyclopedia for real food!!”
–Amanda from OhAmanda.com
If you have not seen the KellytheKitchenKop.com blog then you are missing out on one of the premiere bloggers on healthy cooking, traditional foods and really all things related to nutrition and health.”
–Jimmy Moore from the Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb
More from blog readers/commenters:
- “A little less than a year ago, your post saved my life. It was found by my boyfriend after much research and lead us to the answers to healing all of my health problems. I wanted to thank you and let you know how grateful I am to you for writing about Leaky Gut and it’s symptoms. Thank you for doing everything the doctors could not, for giving me answers, and hope. I am happy and healed and now spreading the word about Leaky Gut.”
- “Kelly, I've learned so much from you and I am grateful. I have eliminated all the bad oils from my diet and have gone as far to make my own bone broth and I even drink raw milk. My stomach is no longer in constant pain and the diarrhea is gone.”
- “I just wanted to thank you for the information you send out and post on your blog. I subscribe to MANY blogs, all traditional food and helpful ‘natural' blogs that I love. Something about your blog really stands out though. It's very smart, simple, and easy to relate to. It's not extreme like some and it's practical from a traditional food sense.”
- “You are – for so many reasons – one of my most trusted online sources. You tell it like it is, you keep it very real, you're not a drama queen or histrionic about stuff, you just put it out there. I have shared SO MANY of your articles and posts. I read a ton of blogs and I am here to tell you that you have somehow found the secret to be whatever it is to be very successful. I feel like I know you. 🙂 Thank you for all of your phenomenal effort.”
- “There is one blog I will not EVER unsubscribe from and that is Kelly the Kitchen Kop. When I recommend real food blogs, you are the one! I do find your site easy to navigate. But most of all I find you are a real person and it comes through your posts. I like that!!! Plus you are the first person who taught me about real food. It just so happened I found you on CatholicMom.com. Thanks for all you do for everyone. Thank you for helping our family see the truth. I like your rants because I, too, like to rant!”
- “I love all your posts & love being on the email list. Thank you for all you do! In a way, you are saving lives :)”
- “I just love this blog! You aren’t afraid to talk about the Good, the Bad or the Icky… Apparently!! LOL. And I love that you always seem to have a positive spin on things. (At least as much as possible! Some things just make me mad, too, and it’s hard to be positive about it all!)…I just want to say THANK YOU for doing what you do, the way you do it! Honesty and Positivity go a long way!! Keep up the GOOD WORK here!!!”
- “Thank you for sharing your life!”
- “Your site has been a fantastic inspiration to me. I started reading your site a few months before my daughter started eating solid food. She is almost 2 1/2 years old now and is super healthy with no health concerns. My journey has been very enriched and made easier with the information you have provided. Thanks so much!”
Just Got Here?
Scroll down through these post archives to find whatever might interest you: Kitchen Kop Archives.
My “official” bio:
Kelly has passionately researched how to eat better and live naturally since 2004 when she was shocked to learn the truth about the food we eat and the mainstream options available to us for healing–people were only getting heavier and sicker! Back then everything was confusing and a huge information overload, so she started blogging in late 2007 to offer simple, clear help and empower you to nourish your family well, feel better naturally and raise healthy kids without going crazy in the process. Kelly lives in a small town near Grand Rapids, Michigan and is a wife to Kent, a homeschooling Mom of four, a blogger at KellytheKitchenKop.com, and author of Real Food for Rookies.
Let's be friends!
- Say hello on social media:
- Check out my blog posts
- Visit my shop page to find the products and resources I love.
- Or sign up for the Kitchen Kop Krew and get my newsletter plus loads of free resources so I can continue to help you along the way. 🙂