NOTE: I am adding new pertinent links below as I come across them to keep you updated on the latest, so keep checking back and *see the “updates” section below… Also, see my latest recommendations here.
If you've been a reader for very long, you know that I've recommended Green Pasture products almost since I first began writing this blog.
However, over the weekend my inbox blew up with emails about Green Pasture's fermented cod liver oil.
I am not yet sure WHAT to think about this information, but in the meantime, since I consider all of you my friends, I have to share the latest so you can decide for yourselves.
- Click here to download a 111 page document with FCLO research done by Weston Price board member, Kaayla Daniel.
- Here is Dr. Ron's story (where he admits he took more than the recommended dosage) and his summary of Kaayla's report.
- One of my local friends (unnamed for her daughter's sake) shared this:
I had a phone consult recently with a WAPF board member, Joette Calabrese, regarding my teenage daughter's exacerbating eczema, and she said to discontinue the FCLO! She said it is rancid due to the fermentation and remarked that Weston Price never spoke about FCLO, just CLO. We also dropped chocolate on her recommendation and my daughter was cleared of eczema within 6 weeks! I was so sold on that supplement as superior and I actually harmed my daughter. 🙁 I am almost in tears over this.”
I have another friend, however, who gives her daughter the FCLO and doesn't stop, because as soon as she does her eczema comes back!
My conclusions for now…
As I said, I'm still not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, the above information doesn't look good for Green Pasture Products. Not good at all. And if it's true, I'm very unhappy for having been led to believe this was a health food all these years, so much so that I recommended it to YOU, my reader friends who I only ever wanted to help, not harm!
(Here's another one: How to save $2600 in dental bills. And there are many more.)
It could just be that each person is different and either thrives or possibly reacts to different things, OR the fact that you can take too much of a good thing. And studies and reports have been known to be wrong, we all know that…
Yes, you can tell I'm going back and forth, because I just want the TRUTH and don't know who or what to believe.
Either way, I believe it's good to have options just because everyone is different, so here are my most current recommendations.
I've reached out to Dave Wetzel at GPP because I feel that it's only fair to hear his side of the story.
When I hear back or see a public response from Dave, I'll let you know in the links below. I've also heard that the Weston Price Foundation will be releasing a statement on this issue soon. Be sure to subscribe to blog updates in the orange box at the top of this page so you'll know when more information is available.
9/4/15: After reading all of the below articles as they are coming in, I still don't feel like we know the whole story from either “side”. It really has helped a LOT of people in the past, including my family and many of my readers! However, some just do not tolerate it well and others have said it actually harmed them — these varied reactions to a product can be true of most everything because we're all different! (Is there anything that is well-tolerated by everyone?!)
Those are my latest conclusions, which I am sharing with a BIG disclaimer: Read all of the links below and make up your OWN mind on this! Don't blindly trust me or anyone else on this or any issue, there is TOO much that I don't know. Thank you.
(I'm going to keep adding any new significant links about this topic here, so check back.)
- 3/16: Find out what we're taking nowadays.
- 8/29/15: The WAPF's full response – it's a point-by-point rebuttal as I was hoping to see. I was very thankful for the professional tone here vs. the tone in the original report from Kaayla.
- 8/30/15: Chris Masterjohn's response – this one covers even more.
- 9/2/15: The latest from Green Pasture Products – I really appreciate how he talked here about “healing our community”. Another one: What do the scientists say?
- 9/3/15: Straight Poop on Cod Liver Oil Dosage (Ready to Be Confused?)
- 9/11/15: A pretty straightforward rebuttal — be sure to look at the interesting links in that article, too — links on how to tell if an oil is rancid, and what are best-practices for cod liver oil processing.
- 8/24/15: Here's Dave Wetzel's original response
- This is Sarah's post (WAPF board member)
- Here is Wellness Mama's take on this issue
- David Gumpert's post
- Kaayla's response to Sarah's post — I feel like two friends are not getting along and I can't get them to make up. 🙁
- Chris Kresser's post on the topic — He basically ends up at the same place I did, he's not sure what to think yet until we get more information.
- 11/10/15: Hook, line, and THINKER! Adding context to Kaayla Daniel's report on FCLO — a new look at Kaayla's report, easy to read and humorous too.
- 11/21/15: The Truth about Transfat in FCLO
- This is all so heavy, I had to share this that I saw on Facebook to help lighten things up a little while we wait for more information (not that this isn't very serious, but I'm tired of fretting over it right now!):
Do you have any stories to share?
Maybe FCLO has helped you or a loved one? Maybe you had a bad experience with it? Please let us hear from you.
Related Posts… OR NOT…
All of this makes my head hurt, so here are some other topics that may grab you:
- Just skip the cod liver oil? Try this Fried Salmon Patties Recipe (Good for those who won’t take their cod liver oil!)
- I'm going to go bury myself in final curriculum plans. Click here to see all my homeschooling and curriculum posts.
- How to Eat Carbs Safely and Lower the Glycemic Index of the Foods You Love (Also: Why Dieting Backfires!) — I still find this information SO helpful!
- Need healthy school lunch ideas? Or check out the last comment at this post where a reader, Dana, tells about a ROCKIN' option at their school: Real Food For Kids: School Lunch Letter Sent to Superintendent
- Calling All Working Moms and Dads – What’s Your One BEST Tip for Juggling it All?! I love re-reading the comments here.
- Have you read these posts about healing many different health conditions naturally? If you know someone with any of these problems, please share with them!
- What is the GAPS Diet (GAPS Diet for Rookies — did you know that the goal is to go OFF the GAPS diet?!)
- Bad Vintage Ads — these would be funny if they weren't so wrong!
- An Entirely *Different* Kind of Resolution – Many Need This Much More Than Losing Weight
- Easy Crock-pot Lasagna
- Struggling with eczema? I've heard this book, The Eczema Diet, is really good.