Fast Food Meal Ideas Using Tortillas
Do you realize how many quick/fast food meals can be made when you have tortillas on hand? Check out how to make homemade soaked flour tortillas (or regular tortillas) here. Don't want to make them? I HAVE finally found some pretty good tortillas that you can find here in a pinch and we use these quite often now.
And HERE are some fast food meal ideas using tortillas:
- Homemade pizzas (my kids’ favorite, pictured above) – Just add organic sauce, cheese and whatever other toppings you like and bake ‘til the cheese melts. (Here’s another recipe for more traditional homemade pizzas.) Butter the bottom really well so the tortilla gets really crispy.
- Another hit with the kids lately: Mexican pizzas. Also super easy: spread organic refried beans on a tortilla, sprinkle with cheese. Bake ‘til the cheese melts and serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, etc. Again, butter the bottom well so it gets crispier.
- Quesadillas – A fast meal that everyone loves, like a grilled cheese but more fun. I like to use at least a couple different kinds of cheese. Just sprinkle cheese on a tortilla, place another on top and fry each side in plenty of healthy fat like butter/ghee, refined coconut oil (some things I use the refined for if I don’t want the coconut flavor), lard or beef tallow, even bacon grease. Add sour cream and tomatoes and you’ve got an “adult” quesadilla. You can also use chicken or beef and serve with salsa. (Where to find safe, healthy meat.)
- I like making tortilla roll-ups. Spread cream cheese on a tortilla and whatever else you like: green onions, other veggies cut up (small pieces of tomato, green pepper, shredded carrots, etc.), shredded cheese, and you could also add ham or turkey lunch meat. Roll up then slice to serve or just eat like a burrito. The kids like these in their lunches or I'll slice them to serve as appetizers that everyone always loves!
- You could fry tortillas in plenty of healthy fats and break them up into pieces for a crispy taco salad topping or cut into triangles and use like chips to dip into guacamole, this yummy feta cheese dip, or some bean salsa. Also after frying like this you could sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on for a treat, or some garlic salt for a snack.
- They’re also nice to have on hand to make chicken enchiladas.
- These breakfast burritos are a tasty fast breakfast.
- Of course these are good for the basic tacos or burritos, too. We all like these shredded chicken tacos.
- Does anyone have more fast meal ideas using tortillas? Please share in the comments!
Like these fast meal ideas?
- Here's a complete list of real food meals that can be made quickly (not just with tortillas).
- See my how to make homemade soaked or regular tortillas and read about the quest for the not-so-bad tortilla ingredient list.
Need some meal planning help?
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.