The whole family loves these shredded chicken tacos. As all you Moms know, when you find a meal that everyone loves, it’s a rare and thrilling thing. I started out first thing in the morning by throwing the rock solid frozen chicken in the crock pot, and later I just pulled some things out of the fridge, baked the taco shells for 4 minutes, and it was time to eat.
Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2 cups chicken broth I’ve always got some in the freezer, if you don't you can just use water and they'll still be really good, but they're not as nutritious that way.
- Taco seasonings About 1/4 cup or more to your taste depending on how spicy you want it.
- About 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts. You can throw them into the crock pot frozen solid which is great for people like me who never remember to get meat out of the freezer ahead of time. (We get ours from a local farm but if you don't have a good source, you can order online here.)
- Make your own soft tortilla shells ahead of time since there just aren’t any at the store that get by my filter anymore. And if the ingredient label isn’t too bad, they taste terrible. Do you know of any good brands? One thing I did find, though, were some crunchy corn taco shells with an ingredient label that didn’t make me squirm too bad. Although it wasn’t organic, so it was likely GMO corn. UPDATE: I get these flour tortillas sometimes nowadays.
- Sour cream
- Organic refried beans
- Homemade salsa or your favorite organic salsa.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Homemade guacamole I LOVE this stuff!
- Spanish rice
- Lettuce torn in pieces or shredded
- Did I miss any?
- In the morning, put the broth, chicken and seasonings into your crock pot on high. Let it cook all day, and when the chicken falls apart easily, use a fork to shred it while it's still in the crock pot.
- If you don't start it early enough, you could just use your pressure cooker for a fast meal.
- Throw your favorite ingredients onto your shell/tortilla of choice OR just over a bed of lettuce for some grain-free deliciousness. It's so fast and easy!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.