In our current times, when most people are struggling financially, one way to stretch our food budget is to use the more inexpensive cuts of grass-fed meat, such as ground beef. Recently one of my reader friends, Erin, suggested I turn this topic into a post. Good idea, Erin!
Ours comes with beef heart
One note: the ground beef we buy is a bit more expensive because we get it from our farmer with some beef heart also ground in with it. There is NO taste difference, believe me, I’d know, and it provides extra nutrients!
First I’ll share my favorite ground beef recipes, and then I’m hoping you’ll share all of yours in the comments!
(Here’s where to find a safe source for grass-fed meat.)
By the way, the picture above is our son helping me make meatballs.
- Shepherds Pie – a “comfort food” for sure.
- “Hamburger Helper” alternatives – did you used to love those nasty boxes, too?
- Jenn’s Mexican Lasagna – anyone else love Mexican?
- Organic Sloppy Joes – a classic!
- Classic Meatloaf with an Extra Healthy Twist – another “comfort food” meal.
- 3 Easy Main Dish Recipes – one of them is for cheeseburger cups that you’ll like.
- Mary Jo’s Meatball Sub Casserole – this was a big hit around here.
- Of course we love hamburgers, usually on the grill, but sometimes fried in my big stainless steel pan (read about this pan that I love in my post about getting the Teflon out of our kitchen: Bye bye Teflon skilllet). Instead of a ‘regular’ burger, I’ll usually have these yummy bunless burgers!
- Check out my friend, Stanley’s, book Tender Grassfed Meat: Traditional Ways to Cook Healthy Meat, and he’s got a new book coming out soon, too!
Your turn, share your favorites!