Do you like meatloaf? For me it’s part of a cozy, satisfying “meat and potatoes” kind of meal. Not to mention that it’s full of nutrients, especially when you make it with part grass-fed ground beef and part ground beef heart! (Did I mention how easy it is to make?) Read about the many benefits of grass-fed beef.
Classic Meatloaf (with extra nutrition)
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef with part ground beef heart You really can’t taste anything different, honest! Read You CAN Eat Beef Heart!
- 1 cup organic bread crumbs non-organic have trans fats, or sometimes I’ll freeze the ends of the loaves of bread that no one wanted and crumble those up for bread crumbs.
- 1 egg + another egg yolk eggs are SO good for you, any way you can get them!
- 1/4 cup organic ketchup I buy organic to avoid HFCS and GMOs
- 1/4-1/2 medium organic onion chopped small
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix everything together in a bowl with your hands and press into a bread pan. Bake until done in the middle, but be careful not to over-bake or it will be dry. I had some Crispy Potatoes in the oven, too, so I put it in for about 25 minutes on 450*. (You could also do about 30-35 minutes or so at 375* – just keep an eye on it.) When it’s about 10 minutes from being done, spread the sauce on top and bake the remaining time.
- Note: I usually double this for our family of six and it’s just about right. You can either put it all in one pan for a taller meatloaf (but you’ll need to bake it a little longer at a lower temp), or I like to make two shorter loaves.
Someone shared a great suggestion: freeze some in muffin cups for individual serving sizes to take with you for lunch or for a quick protein snack!
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.