This has such nice flavor and a bit of a kick, so it really satisfies your appetite, especially when you’re watching your carbs like I am these days. Also, the healthy chicken stock and other healthy ingredients make it super nutritious! My kids even ate it, but they pick around the beans. They love the cheese sprinkled on the top.
There are some carbs in this from the beans, but I believe it is only a small amount because the fiber in the beans lowers the net carbs. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.
If you make it a little different, let me know, I always love playing with recipes. This one is from 3 different friend’s recipes, all mixed and matched – that’s the way this one is, just use what sounds good to you.
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- About 2#’s chicken, cut in pieces – cooked or uncooked
- About 4 c. chicken stock (I boil bones now and then and keep stock in the freezer to pull out when I need it.)
- 1 48 oz. jar Great Northern beans, don’t drain
- Can of organic tomatoes with green chilis (I use a couple cans)
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper if you like it spicy
- Half or whole onion, chopped (however much you like)
- A few cloves of minced garlic (again, to your taste)
- Shredded cheese for the top, we use Monterey Jack or organic cheddar
Simmer all ingredients over low heat for an hour or two. When serving, sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese on the top of each bowl.