It’s official. This is everyone’s favorite soup around here and the best way to get more nourishing bone broth into my family. We all have seconds and thirds, it is SO tasty.
- 2 or more cups cooked, shredded or chopped chicken (I usually make this after having baked chicken for dinner the day before, just pick the extra meat off the bone and set aside; cook the bones all day for the broth) – pasture raised chicken is best
- 1 can organic black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 4 cups of your favorite organic salsa (or 2 cups salsa plus 2 cups tomato sauce with a few extra spices like cumin, garlic powder, etc. – all of this just adapt to your own taste preferences.) Here’s my homemade salsa recipe – this can be made ahead or I do buy it at the store sometimes.
- 4-6 cups homemade chicken broth)
- Optional – we like all of this in it: chopped celery, peppers, jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, fresh garlic, etc. – but a lot of that is probably already in your salsa, that’s why this is such an easy recipe. If you add any of these, just be sure you give them time to cook in the broth for 10-20 minutes or so to get soft.
- Sea salt to your taste
For the top:
- 1 c. shredded cheese – Monterey Jack, cheddar, whatever you like
- Sour cream or cream cheese
- Tortilla chips (optional) – I buy organic to avoid GMO ingredients and other nasties!
Throw it all together, simmer ’til it’s hot and the flavors are blended together nicely. Once any veggies you added are tender, it’s time to serve.
- More main dish ideas
- Have you seen my homemade bread recipe to make 6 loaves at once of SOFT bread?!
- Meal planning/Kitchen Tips
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.