This recipe for how to make homemade taco seasoning includes instructions on making a whole jar of it to keep on hand, and this kind doesn't have the junk that the taco seasoning mixes from the store have! (Try this recipe in a yummy Mexican soup: Organic Baja Chicken Enchilada Soup.)
Homemade Taco Seasoning (Single Serving)
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper I used to omit this, but a reader friend, Elaine, said this: “You mentioned that you omit the 1/8 tsp. red pepper. I am the biggest wimp on planet earth and I still put a generous 1/8th (or more? and it is so well balanced with the other seasonings that it is fine. Trust me – if it were too hot, I would tell you! Even my kids who are wimps like me don't notice or say anything. You might like the flavor.”)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or more
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend well. For taco meat: brown 1 lb. ground beef. Drain. Add 1/2 cup water and the seasoning mix. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Now here is the same recipe but, portioned out for multiple servings.
Homemade Taco Seasoning (Full Jar)
- Just mix all the ingredients together. Use about 2 TBSP per pound.
- Check out Sue's post on natural, healthy, green mothering
- Like Mexican food? Here's another good one: Mostly Organic Chicken Enchiladas
- One more: Jenn's Mexican Lasagna
- Hate Mexican food? Check out these other main dish recipes.
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.