(By the way, check out this other post to see the CRAZY thing that this post led to: Kasey on TV!!!)
Our son came home from his homeschool classes the other day (he goes once a week for enrichment courses or drama class, etc.) where they have hot lunch every other week and he said, “Mom, we had walking tacos today and they were SO good, we should try to make them!” I probably mumbled something like, “Hmm, maybe…” as I was thinking…
“No way are we buying nasty Doritos or Fritos or whatever a ‘walking taco' is made of!”
But then I was in the store shortly after that and saw some new “organic scoops” corn chips (don't you just LOVE how because of all of US, organic is becoming more mainstream?!!) and so I knew what we needed to do…
Recreate our own version of real food walking tacos (Very similar to a nacho bar!)
When I told him what we were going to do, he said, “But what made them so good was the taco sauce… can I try making some?!” So we pulled a few different recipes together, using our own real food ingredients of course, and he went to work… It turned out really good.
What is a “walking taco”?
Sharon in the comments reminded me that I should probably explain what a “walking taco” IS! When you're talking about the junky version that uses Doritos or Fritos, then all the toppings would go right on top of the chips and you could walk around with it while you ate out of the individual-sized, easy to carry bag. For this version it would be the same, only you'll eat out of a bowl. 🙂
And by the way, this is a great meal for a crowd too.
This weekend we'll have 34 people for dinner (it's our turn to host our FIRE group/Catholic family faith formation “for the kids”, but we all love it!), and it's not only easy to make a lot of this, but it's also very adaptable for those who don't eat gluten or picky kids or whatever — everyone can just load up with what they like.
But first, the video (plays after the ad)! (And will you go here to subscribe and give Kasey a thumbs up, pleeease?)
Now here's how we did it:
Walking Tacos with Homemade Taco Sauce
Walking Tacos Ingredients:
- Organic scoop-shaped corn chips like these or just regular if you can't find them
- This could be a no-meat meal OR use shredded pastured chicken or pork or browned grass-fed ground beef, all seasoned well with taco seasoning (if you don't have a safe local source for healthy, pastured meats, this is the only online source I trust)
- Shredded organic lettuce or a mix of greens-- I suggest you have a lot of this on-hand if you're serving company, so those with food allergies can have the toppings over lettuce
- Guacamole if you love it like we do, or just avocado slices
- Shredded cheese or make chili con queso-- easy!
- For those not eating the chips, you could also offer organic tortillas, which I can find at our local grocery store now!
- For those who are gluten-free or corn-free but not low-carb: you could make some rice for a rice bowl
- Sour cream
- Sliced tomatoes, salsa, OR do we what did and make homemade taco sauce--recipe next!
Homemade taco sauce:
- 15 ounce organic tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar I prefer this one
- 1/2 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt more to your own taste buds
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon jalepeno powder or cayenne if you can't find it, or one chopped jalapeño
- 1/2 cup water OR 2 fresh tomatoes if you have them, or however many extra tomatoes you have handy, it'll explode with even more flavor if you can get them in-season, but we can't always have that here in Michigan...
Get your other taco fixin's ready then make the taco sauce:
- Blend all of the ingredients together well, I used my beloved Bosch blender.
- Serve in a bowl with the chips in the bottom and everyone can add what they want on top.
More you might like:
- Another good “feed a crowd” option: Baked potato bar
- Or an ice cream sundae bar
How great that your son is in the kitchen learning good practices, and getting comfortable in front of a camera. Public speaking is SO important!! Will try this sauce recipe soon~sounds yummy!
What does ‘walking taco’ mean? Nice video but no clues….
Oh yeah! Guess I should explain that, huh? Sorry, I’ll go add that to the post now. Thanks Sharon!