Have you ever tried a keto cheese sauce?
Well if not, it's TIME. 🙂 I've been doing more keto recipes around here lately, they're SO tasty and hopefully I'll lose a few L-B's too (thanks a lot menopause–UPDATE: see my weight loss post here!). In case you're unsure, keto is basically like low-carb, only for those being strict it's even lower carb. My latest favorite is this keto cheese sauce. I've always made cheese sauce the way my Mom did: make a roux/white sauce, then add cheese until it's all melty. I had NO idea that making it without flour could be THIS good and much creamier. Tastier and healthier than the gross Velveeta I used to use!
This keto cheese sauce can be used in many different ways…
- Served over lightly steamed or roasted cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, etc. (oh my gosh you guys, it's so good)
- Eat it over eggs
- Add some ham in with your veggies and the keto cheese sauce
- Add cumin for a spicy sauce and use celery or fried low-carb tortillas as dippers–see a chili con queso recipe below!
- Try it over zoodles (spiraled zucchini) that you first stir-fry in butter and garlic
- Or any way you feel like eating it!
For dinner one night I made regular stove-top mac and cheese for the guys, and my daughter and I had this keto cheese sauce over about half of a head of lightly steamed cauliflower. (The guys wouldn't appreciate a whole meal of this like we did.) I like the veggies to still be a little crunchy, so if you do too, don't over-steam. I now use this steamer basket, after my other cheaper ones fell apart.
Keto Cheese Sauce/Chili Con Queso
- 2 Tablespoons butter, pastured butter is best
- 4 Tablespoons cream cheese, again, pastured cream cheese is best
- 1/4 cup real cream/whipping cream, NOT ultra-pasteurized, plus more cream if needed - see instructions. Or milk if you don't have any cream, you only buy whole milk, right?!!
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, any kind is fine, I used parmesan, yum! ***Use spicy cheese for a Mexican queso or see recipe notes below for an even dreamier version!
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and/or a squirt of dijon mustard for a variety of flavors, optional
- 1-2 Tablespoons of this MCT oil for extra energy and fat-burning power, optional
- 2 teaspoons colostrum, for extra nutrition to boost gut health and your immune system (optional)
- Whisk as you melt butter, cream cheese and cream in a small saucepan on low so it doesn't burn. Add the cheese and keep whisking, adding more cream if needed to get a nice, dreamy consistency. Add optional ingredients, whisk well, and add salt and pepper, then taste-test to get it how you like it.
- Serve over lightly steamed cauliflower, broccoli, or other veggies. It's also delicious over eggs or anything really!
- Also try putting some veggies in your serving dish, add the keto cheese sauce over top, sprinkle on more cheese, then broil 'til golden for a yummy baked cheese flavor.
More you might like:
- Low-carb Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from my sister