Have you ever tried a keto cheese sauce?
Well if not, it's TIME. 🙂 I've been doing more keto recipes around here lately, they're SO tasty and hopefully I'll lose a few L-B's too (thanks a lot menopause). In case you're unsure, keto is basically like low-carb, only for those being strict it's even lower carb. My latest favorite is this keto cheese sauce. I've always made cheese sauce the way my Mom did: make a roux/white sauce, then add cheese until it's all melty. I had NO idea that making it without flour could be THIS good. Note that it's not quite as thick as when it's made in the traditional way, but it's more delicious.
This keto cheese sauce can be used in many different ways…
- Served over lightly steamed or roasted cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, etc. (oh my gosh you guys, it's so good)
- Eat it over eggs
- Add some ham in with your veggies and the keto cheese sauce
- Add cumin for a spicy sauce and use celery or fried low-carb tortillas as dippers
- Try it over zoodles (spiraled zucchini) that you first stir-fry in butter and garlic
- Or any way you feel like eating it!
For dinner one night I made regular stove-top mac and cheese for the guys, and my daughter and I had this keto cheese sauce over about half of a head of lightly steamed cauliflower. (The guys wouldn't appreciate a whole meal of this like we did.) I like the veggies to still be a little crunchy, so if you do too, don't over-steam. I now use this steamer basket, after my other cheaper ones fell apart.
Keto Cheese Sauce/Queso Cheese Sauce
Yield About 3/4 cup
- 2 Tablespoons butter, pastured butter is best
- 4 Tablespoons cream cheese, again, pastured cream cheese is best
- 1/4 cup real cream (NOT ultra-pasteurized), plus more cream if needed - see instructions. Or milk if you don't have any cream, you only buy whole milk, right?!!
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (any kind is fine, I used parmesan, yum! ***Use spicy cheese for queso!)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and/or a squirt of dijon mustard for a variety of flavors
Whisk as you melt butter, cream cheese and cream in a small saucepan on low so it doesn't burn. Add the cheese and keep whisking, adding more cream if needed to get a nice, dreamy consistency. Add optional ingredients and a little salt and pepper and taste-test to get it how you like it.
Serve over lightly steamed cauliflower, broccoli, or other veggies. It's also delicious over eggs or anything really!
Also try putting some veggies in your serving dish, add the keto cheese sauce over top, sprinkle on more cheese, then broil 'til golden for a yummy baked cheese flavor.
***If you used spicy cheese to make queso sauce it's great with organic corn chips (if you're not doing keto), or drizzled on your tacos, but if you are doing keto, then using sliced peppers as dippers is pretty darn tasty!
Did you make a real food recipe?
More you might like:
- Low-carb Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from my sister