How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
Hopefully you don't still buy taco seasoning from the store. That has preservatives and MSG and probably some other gross stuff too, and it's SO EASY to throw it together yourself at home!
This recipe for how to make homemade taco seasoning includes instructions on making enough for one batch or for a whole jar of it to keep on hand to use as you need it. There's no junk in this like the taco seasoning mixes at the store! Try it in the yummy recipes down below or look through all my Mexican recipes here.
Homemade Taco Seasoning (One Batch)
- 2 teaspoons minced onion or 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper I used to omit this, but a reader friend, Elaine, said this: “You mentioned that you omit the 1/8 teaspoon red pepper. I am the biggest wimp on planet earth and I still put a generous 1/8th (or more?) and it is so well balanced with the other seasonings that it is fine. Trust me – if it were too hot, I would tell you! Even my kids who are wimps like me don't notice or say anything. You might like the flavor.”
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or more to your taste.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend well. For taco meat: brown 1# ground beef then drain if there's a lot of grease. (Click here for a safe source online for healthy meat if you don't have a local source.). Add 1/2 cup water and the seasoning mix. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next are instructions for how to make homemade taco seasoning, but enough for a whole jar so you can just use it as you need it in recipes.
Homemade Taco Seasoning (Full Jar)
- Just mix all the ingredients together. When cooking, use about 2 Tablespoons per pound of ground beef, but taste-test and add more if you think it needs it.
More you might like:
- Hate Mexican food? Check out these other main dish recipes.
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.