A simple layered taco dip recipe that's always a hit!
Hopefully most of you are involved with your local Weston Price chapter (find yours here or if you're near West Michigan, join us!) – I've been co-chapter leader with my friend Janice for a while now, and love getting to know new real foodies every month. Our meetings are casual but super informative, and we also have something extra fun: goodies to sample!
Last month my friend Geri and her daughter, Margaret, brought this taco dip that was a huge hit. I've made variations of it for get-togethers in the past, and it's always gone before long. It only takes a few minutes to pull together, and you can make it ahead of time, too, which is always a plus.
Make it with or without veggies. The picture above shows when I made it right after picking up a haul of CSA veggies — YUM!
Layered Taco Dip Recipe
Layers of beans, sour cream and cheese -- what's not to love? This dip is always a party favorite. See below for other variations and ideas.
- 2 cans of organic refried beans. I usually buy a kind that has some jalepenos or other flavorful peppers in it for more yumminess.
- 2 cups sour cream (pastured is best, but if not, at least find sour cream with only cream listed in the ingredients)
- 1/4 cup homemade taco seasoning (or more to your taste – be sure and check it before adding more). If you don't have any made up, just use 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and 3/4 teaspoon sea salt. (Find spices that aren't irradiated here.)
- Any veggies you'd like: tomatoes, green/red/orange peppers, black olives, or green onions.
- About a cup of your favorite shredded cheese.
- Organic nacho chips (to avoid the nasty GMO corn) for dippers
You can use a cookie sheet, or use a large pizza pan like I did. (I love my stainless steel bakeware!) You could also use 2-9×13's but you may need more sour cream. Mix sour cream with seasonings and spread over the bean layer. Sprinkle with cheese and optional veggies of your choice. Serve with organic nacho chips.
Here are a few of the many different variations you can try with this dip…
- Start with a layer of cream cheese on the bottom. Then you can keep the sour cream layer or omit, it's good either way. If you omit it, you may want to mix a little taco seasoning in with your beans before spreading them on top of the cream cheese.
- Try a guacamole layer and make it into a layered guacamole dip, yum!
- Add a salsa layer
Did you make a real food recipe?
Here it is without the veggies. Not as pretty, but still super tasty!
- Love Mexican food? Check out more Mexican recipes here
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.