Many years ago, way back when I first started this blog, I wrote a post about my dark secrets. Through the years it was interesting how I had to go back into that post and add updates, because slowly but surely, those dark secrets didn't really apply anymore. Click here to see what I mean, but for one example, I used to only buy shredded cheese because I thought that shredding it ourselves was just too much. But over time I'd read the ingredient label on those bags and see the nasty chemical preservatives in there vs. NO preservatives in the block of cheese, and I just couldn't do it anymore. So I started buying blocks of cheese from pastured cows at Costco (such a good deal there!) to shred ourselves, and it's really no big deal! I'll do several blocks at once using my Bosch shredder attachment and freeze 2-3 cups in separate baggies, or we'll pull out our box grater and shred just what we need for that meal. Easy!
However I do still have a few dark secrets…
I'm putting these out there hoping you'll share yours too, don't leave me hanging! And don't be too tough on me, I'm still on a journey!
- I still get highlights in my hair yearly. With bleach. Yep, I said it. It's such a nice pick-me-up every fall!
- Speaking of bleach, my Mom always used it in her whites and it reminds me of her. So I use a splash of it in a load of whites once or twice a month, but it's diluted in a washer full of water, is that still bad? I'm sure you'll all enlighten me, but all I can find online is related to the dangers of mixing it with other household cleaners, which I don't. And it doesn't irritate anyone's skin or cause anyone respiratory issues whatsoever. I've been thinking about mixing up a jug of lemon juice and peroxide in a dark container and seeing if it would get our whites as nice as bleach, but haven't gotten to it. Has anyone tried this?
- I don't use any organic make-up. Just haven't gone there yet and I don't wear a lot of it.
- Lately I haven't been “soaking” or “properly preparing” my grains much. Partly because we don't eat as many grains as we used to, and partly because when we do, I've only been using einkorn, and get this: it's usually this white einkorn flour or einkorn pasta, not whole wheat. I know, crazy right?! But if it's white, I don't have to think about the phytic acid in the whole grains blocking mineral absorption, and einkorn is so much better for us anyway. (Read more here about why Einkorn is so much better: Could THIS be the answer to the gluten sensitivity epidemic?!) However, our “everyday” bread (even though we don't eat it everyday anymore) is a fermented multi-grain from a local baker, so we're still getting whole grains in. If I didn't have this option, I'd still be making my soaked bread recipe more often.
- Every 2-3 or more months when we are making up some cookies, I'll slam a LOT of cookie dough. Dang that stuff is good, especially chocolate chip. I have to say though, that my sweets cravings have decreased significantly over the years, it's crazy how that happens when you're body is well-nourished with real food!
- I haven't switched to organic wine yet, but probably should. Since I did the Whole30 I haven't been drinking wine as much, but still. Anyone know of a good organic Riesling? (Yes I know red wine is better for me, but my palate hasn't quite gotten there…)
So tell me, what's YOUR 10-20%, or your dark secrets?!
Related posts (or not) that you might like:
- Do you have these FREE Kitchen Kop printables yet? You can get them by clicking here and signing up for my emails (live, weekly, or monthly options), and if you’re already on my list, just shoot my assistant Susan an email and she’ll verify your email address ([email protected] — please be patient in case she gets a lot of requests) and then she’ll send your directions for getting a copy of any or all of these:
- Real Food Time Savers — a whole list for you!
- How to Afford Real Food — again, you'll get a TON of tips.
- Homemade FAST Meal Ideas — for those nights you don't have a clue what you're making for dinner, or you know it'll be a crazy evening.
- Real Food Snack Ideas — who doesn't need more snack ideas?
- How to Get Rid of Head Lice Naturally — I've been there, and now I can help you.
- How to Nontoxically Eliminate Bed Bugs — including DIY instructions for how to make an inexpensive bug trap.
- Top 25 Simple Ways to Boost Your Health with Apple Cider Vinegar — this stuff is amazing.
- My original dark secrets post
- Best Books for Gifts (And Amazon Wants to Give You $10)
- Our 11 Year Old’s Advice on How to Get Your Kids to Love Real Food (Video)
- “I’m Doing All the ‘Right’ Things, Why am I not Losing Weight?”
- Easy to Peel Hard-Boiled Eggs in the Pressure Cooker (On Sale for $44 off!)