Mexican Soup in the Crock Pot — Or Not
This Mexican soup in the crock pot is an easy meal to pull together and since everyone loves it, I do too: no complaints, only cheers at the table! It's similar to my other recipe, Baja Chicken Enchilada Soup, but a little faster to make (no cream sauce) and lower in carbs…no carbs actually, if you omit the tortilla chips. It came from my friend, Lyn — thanks Lyn!
- 2 or more cups cooked, shredded chicken — if I don't have some cooked chicken already, I'll just chop up boneless chicken and cook it in the soup – pasture raised chicken is best — here's where to find healthy, safe meat online if you don't have a local source.
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped small (I also added chopped onion)
- 2-4 Tablespoons butter, pastured butter is best
- About 4 cups chicken broth homemade broth is best (I now know how quick and simple pressure cooker broth is so I can make some mineral-rich broth more quickly in a pinch. If you just don't think you will make it or want some on hand for when you're really crunched for time, try this bone broth — it's 100% grass-fed with a bunch of gelatin, organic ingredients, and it's shelf stable! I love keeping their beef and chicken broth on-hand for quick recipes because they make it just like I do here, and without the nasty msg-like ingredients, additives, or preservatives that store-bought has.)
- About 4 cups chopped/stewed tomatoes (Lyn purees it so the kids don't notice the chunks – you could do this easily with a Hand Blender)
- 1 cup salsa (or just add more chopped tomatoes and seasonings to your soup – if you don't have picky kids, you could add some bell peppers or jalapeno peppers, too)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (and other fresh or dried herbs if desired like oregano and parsley)
- 1 Tablespoon or more of ground cumin, depending on how spicy your salsa was
- (Often I'll also add a can of organic black beans and some corn)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- (If you have leftover rice, you could throw that in, too.)
For the top:
- 1 cup shredded cheese – Monterey Jack, cheddar, whatever
- Sour cream
- Organic tortilla chips (optional)
Put first 8 ingredients in a crock pot on low 8-10 hours; OR throw it all in a pot on the stove at the last minute like I usually do…and simmer for about 45 minutes before you want to eat.
Just taste-test to make sure it's yummy — you may need to add more seasonings to get it just right.
Lyn says this makes at least 6 bowls full. She puts cheese in the bottom of each bowl, and then ladles the soup over the top. My kids will eat anything they can see cheese on top of, so I put a dollop of sour cream on top, sprinkle with cheese, and crush some tortilla chips over.
More you might like:
- More main dish ideas
- Have you seen my homemade bread recipe to make 6 loaves at once of SOFT bread?!
- Meal planning/Kitchen Tips
- Read more guest interviews
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.