Do you need some better-for-you treats for Valentines Day?
Kent and I aren't into getting each other stuff for “Hallmark holidays”. Besides, it seems like yesterday when we just gave each other gifts for Christmas.
But do you feel bad if you don't get anything fun for your kids on Valentines Day?
The problem is, something ‘fun' usually means more sugar, and they're probably already getting plenty of that at their school parties. So there will be no Russell Stover here… (***Although if you really want to get them candy, get this better kind!)
Here are some good ideas that are inexpensive and fun too:
- Better-for-you treats for Valentines day #1: I'll wake them up with heart shaped eggs, using our from-the-farm pastured eggs, of course. Here's how: using a Metal Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter, fry an egg inside of it and place on a buttered piece of sourdough toast.
- Better-for-you treats for Valentines day #2: I also have this “I love you” toast stamp thing that I surprise the kids with sometimes when they wake up on Valentines Day. The words are kind of hard to see here. Here's a similar one. Or, you could just cut a heart shape out of a piece of toast using the metal heart shaped cookie cutters above, and smother it in butter or nut butter. Use the middle and the outside piece. 🙂
- Better-for-you treats for Valentines day #3: Whip up some jello using the recipe at this homemade jello post — it's made with gelatin from grass-fed cows! Let it set up on cookie sheets like normal, and then use the cookie cutters to make heart shapes. Yes, those cookie cutters get a workout on Valentines day. Or you could pour the jello into heart shaped molds like these.
Do you have some better for you treats for Valentines Day to share?
Need some more homemade dessert recipes?
Homemade treats are ALWAYS better than store-bought. Surprise your honey and/or your kids with one of these recipes:
- You could cut heart shapes out of these brownies. (Here's a yummy paleo brownie recipe if you need one.)
- Or cut hearts out of these addicting smore bars!
- Or kids would love this chocolate fondue for a special treat on Valentines day too. 🙂
- Here's another Valentines day breakfast idea: make this French Toast Frittata using the metal heart shaped cookie cutters.
- I love these dreamy “clouds” that would be pretty for Valentines day with red berries:
- Last one: a heavenly flourless chocolate cake recipe!