I wanted some homemade brownies as good as boxed, but I know, it's pretty sad to have that as my comparison point, huh? But I used to love those dumb boxed chocolate fudge brownies and haven’t had them in years. Do you know that besides the preservatives and other nasty ingredients, they all still have trans fats in them?! (I just checked again recently!)
Homemade Brownies as Good as Boxed… Finally!
These homemade chocolate brownies really do taste as good as boxed and it's a super easy recipe — here's a picture of our youngest son making them:
Homemade Brownies as Good as Boxed!
- 1 cup butter or you could use palm oil shortening or no-flavor coconut oil
- 8 ounce semisweet chocolate baking bar or your favorite chocolate chips
- 1 2/3 cup palm or coconut sugar or regular organic sugar if that's what you have
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder I use aluminum free
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour I used part unbleached white and part sprouted flour
- 2/3 cups chocolate chips I like this brand because it doesn't have icky stuff
- Preheat oven to 350*. Butter and dust with flour around a 9×13 glass or stainless steel baking pan. (Or halve this recipe for an 8×8.) In a heavy large saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring as it gets smooth. Remove from heat and cool. Stir in sugar, vanilla and eggs and mix well. Add in flour, salt and baking powder and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter evenly into the pan and bake for 25-40 minutes (depends on how much oven temps might vary), until the middle is set but not too firm or they’ll be dry. (Less time for an 8×8.)
- See more notes below for variation ideas!
Let me know what you think when you try them!
Another idea that our son wanted to try and it was so good: Get more natural marshmallows like these, cut them into halves or quarters if you want smaller hunks, and put on top the last 10 minutes to get toasty and golden.
If you want a chocolatey top for your brownies, don't stir the chocolate chips into the dough, and instead wait until the brownies come out of the oven and sprinkle them on the top. Wait a few minutes and spread them around like frosting.
Here's where we sprinkled some sea salt on top for an extra burst of YUM.
Or for another yummy idea: use the peanut butter frosting from this recipe!
- These other organic brownies from scratch that I posted previously are really good, but more cake-like and with a cream cheese filling.
More you might like:
- Have you tried the baked oatmeal recipe yet? It’s like dessert for breakfast!