Paleo recipes can be hit-and-miss on taste, but these paleo blonde brownies are so good you won't even know there were any substitutions used!
We don't eat paleo or gluten-free around here because thankfully we have no food allergies that require it. (Have you seen, Could THIS be the cause of the gluten sensitivity epidemic?) You know how it is though when you try a recipe made with alternative ingredients, it's not always good.
Since “paleo” means grain-free, processed sugar-free, and dairy-free, that means a lot of substitutions…
I do not care for recipes made with coconut flour. Even if it's only a little of it in the recipe, I think it makes the whole thing not taste right. Recipes made with nut flour can be good, but not always. Honey can be tricky to substitute with, but I think maple syrup is almost always delicious.
This was CRAZY delicious, these paleo blonde brownies taste just like “real” blonde brownies!
They are quite soft, not doughy but not super firm, and since I like my brownies soft, I was pretty happy when I tried them last night at our bible study! Lyn made them but it was Nancy's recipe, and of course I got her to share it…
- 1/4 cup flavorless coconut oil (or if you can have butter, use that, softened — pastured butter is best)
- 3/4 cup almond butter — this is the brand she used
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour — this is the brand she used
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips — this is the brand she used
Heat oven to 325*. Mix butter with almond butter, add syrup, eggs, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together almond flour, baking powder, and salt, then add that to the wet mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips, and spread into a greased 8×8 glass baking dish. Bake 35-40 minutes, but keep an eye on them at the end so they don't get over-done, and don't pull them out 'til they feel set. I like them soft and moist, but at first mine were TOO doughy.
Try these and let me know what you think!
- The BEST grain-free chocolate chip cookies ever (which also taste like the real thing!)
- Do Healthy Foods Make You SICK? Help for Those with Suffering with Histamine Intolerance
- Is What You Feed Your Child Damaging Their Brain? How French Kids Eat and Why Picky Eaters are a Red Flag
- Posts on grains and on eating gluten-free/low-carb