I thought some of you might be wondering what kind of meals we eat around here. They are all pretty typical, only with healthier ingredients. So now and then I'll do a quick post to let you know what we had for dinner and how I change recipes to make them more nutritious. Please leave a comment below to let me know if this topic bores you to death, or if you like the idea!
I can't stand Guinness, but love it in recipes!
Tonight Kent made this great Guinness Irish stew. He loves Guinness beer and our friend, Joe, made a similar recipe last weekend, so Kent wanted to try it. (Guinness barbecue ribs are great too!) I made homemade rolls, we peeled some oranges, and that was it, along with a glass of raw milk. The house smelled great, and everyone couldn't wait to dig in. The kids all ate it too, and I mean they really liked it – plates were clean and some had 2 helpings.
The only changes we made to the above recipe were:
- We used mostly organic ingredients
- Instead of olive oil we used the no-flavor coconut oil (it does better than olive oil in higher temps)
- The meat we used (round steak) was from the farm where they raise grass-fed animals who aren't given hormones or antibiotics and aren't fed soymeal or animal by-products.
THIS YUMMY BREAD GOES GREAT WITH THE STEW!
No Knead Crusty Bread. My brother, Doug, found this recipe. You have to start making it the day before, but it's very easy – crusty on the outside, soft on the inside, and only calls for 4 ingredients!
WHERE TO GET THE NO-FLAVOR/REFINED COCONUT OIL:
The no-flavor coconut oil is more refined, so it's not AS good for you as virgin coconut oil (more info here on the virgin coconut oil and its health benefits), but that doesn't work for some recipes and you'll still get some health benefits from this one, too. Here's where I get the no-flavor coconut oil.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU LIKE THE STEW!
- 2 more Guinness recipes: Guinness barbecued ribs & Guinness barbecued beef sandwiches…Mmmmm
- Easy Meatless/Vegetarian/Lenten meal ideas
- Eating healthy, without sacrifices!
- Kelly's popcorn with coconut oil
- Health & Nutrition not high on the priority list right now?
- Cod liver oil: answers to common questions
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.