It always amazes me when the kids eat this ground beef shepherds pie so well, sometimes they're fussy about veggies, but they eat them in this without complaint – probably because it's such a “feel good” meal with meat and potatoes and a great aroma as it cooks, not to mention a delicious gravy. The dreamy cheesy top helps, too!
Ground Beef Shepherds Pie
Makes one 9×13 pan, but I double or triple it so I have an extra for the freezer, and sometimes I'll take smaller portions to seniors who live alone and get sick of cooking for one person. This freezes and re-heats so well, it's a perfect dish to keep around in the freezer for busy evenings!
- 1 1/2 -2 pounds ground beef (here's where to find grass fed, organic meat if you don't have a local source)
- Medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups homemade beef stock
- 3-4 bay leaves (find organic herbs and spices here)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or I use our fresh rosemary)
- About 8 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup (or more as needed) milk or cream
- 4 Tablespoon butter, pastured butter is best (or more if you like a lot like we do!)
- 1 Tablespoon minced chives (I use fresh minced garlic)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- About 2 cups frozen or fresh mixed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans, corn)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (unbleached white or sprouted whole wheat) GRAIN-FREE OPTION: use Arrowroot Flour!
- 1 cup shredded cheese (calls for mozz., but I like cheddar better for this recipe)
Note: This recipe is only for one pan, but as mentioned above, don't forget to make 2 or 3 pans at once if possible. It freezes well and is nice to have on hand for busy evenings or to take to a sick friend!
In large skillet (we use cast iron), cook ground beef with onion, drain if needed. Stir in 1 cup broth, bay leaves, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 min.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes, drain, mash with milk, butter, chives/garlic, and salt. Stir in cheese, keep warm. (Or usually I'll just put the cheese on top.) Sometimes I'll also mix in some cream cheese to these mashed potatoes to make them extra dreamy.
Add veggies and remaining salt to beef mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
In small bowl whisk flour and remaining broth 'til smooth, gradually stir into beef mixture.
Bring to boil, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or 'til thick. Remove from heat, discard bay leaves.
Transfer beef mixture to greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over top if you didn't add them to the potatoes.
Bake uncovered at 375* for 10 minutes or until heated. Note: I usually make it ahead then bake it 30-40 minutes to get it hot again.
Did you love this Ground Beef Shepherds Pie recipe? Please will you share it using the buttons below?
- Easy crock pot meal
- Another easy crock pot pork loin
- Avoid school lunches!
- Healthy & yummy waffle/pancake recipe
- Where is the truth on health & nutrition?
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.