This crockpot Italian beef recipe is the ultimate comfort food.
Kent and I make it a priority for all of us to eat together as a family as often as possible. Sadly, we know that our time is limited before our kids are grown and gone, and we want to enjoy these moments as much as possible until then. But some nights it just doesn't work. Last night we were running kids around and knew we'd be eating at different times, so I pulled out my crock pots and threw together a couple of easy recipes for a hot “feel good” meal — everyone loves this crockpot Italian beef recipe served with creamy mashed potatoes. And what makes it even better, you can start with frozen solid beef! (I always forget to get meat out ahead of time.)
Crockpot Italian Beef Recipe and Mashed Potatoes
- Grass fed round steak frozen is fine -- they say about 1 pound/person, but we like extra for leftovers (Here's where to find safe, healthy meat online if you don't have a good local source.)
- Extra beef bones from the farm if your round steak doesn't have a bone
- A splash of raw apple cider vinegar
- A few cloves of fresh garlic chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried garlic powder)
- 1 onion chopped (or some dried onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon each of your favorite Italian seasonings these are optional by the way, you may just want to savor the beefy flavor on its own -- it depends on my mood!: rosemary, marjoram, oregano, thyme
Mashed potato ingredients:
- Throw in the garlic, onion, and Italian seasonings. Add water just to cover the meat, along with a splash of vinegar, so it will make a good, healthy broth as it cooks. (Vinegar draws the minerals out of the bones.) Cook all day to get the meat nice and tender and flavorful. (This makes the house smell SO good!)
- Right before eating, if you'd like your broth more like a gravy instead of like a soup (but is delicious either way), just mix up the flour with cold water until it makes a semi-thick paste. Stir it quickly into the broth.
- Any leftover meat and broth can be made into a vegetable beef soup the next day.
Easy and fast! I love it when my family can come home to the delicious smell of a home-cooked meal like this crockpot Italian beef recipe. Please like and share this recipe, thank you. 🙂
Need to make this recipe FASTER?
- Read more about why I returned my Instant Pot and what we got instead
- More simple crock pot meals
- Easy recipes for Hamburger Helper alternatives
- Healthy & tasty waffles/pancakes
- Meatless/Vegetarian/Lenten Meal Ideas
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.