Healthy Waffles and Pancakes Recipe!
I use this recipe for waffles OR pancakes and it makes a lot. With the extra batter I make more and only lightly brown them. Then when they're cool, put them into a freezer ziplock (with wax paper in between) to pull out later and toss into the toaster where they finish browning and you have a fast healthy breakfast! (Without having to use the microwave!)
This recipe uses flour that is soaked overnight, read what that means at that link and why it's a more nutritious way to prepare the grains in your diet. Short version: “Soaking” or preparing grains like this breaks down the phytic acid in the flour so all the minerals (from a big glass of whole milk) are better assimilated. It is also helpful for those with digestion problems, as this method is a way to partially “pre-digest” the grains.
Soaked Pancakes or Waffles
Ingredients for Part One:
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or my new favorite (or grind 2 cups soft wheat berries – get soft wheat berries here)
- 2 cups whole milk, preferably raw milk (remember, low-fat dairy is not healthy!)
- 5-6 ounces plain organic whole-milk yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir
*Note: if you like yours to taste a bit lighter, you can substitute half the whole grain flour for white unbleached flour or my favorite, Einkorn flour. (Get unbleached white flour here or get Einkorn flour here.)
Ingredients for Part Two:
- The night before mix together the Part One ingredients until moist. Cover and set overnight on the counter in a warm spot (or gently heat the milk first), for at least 7 hours.
- Just add the Part Two ingredients to the Part One mixture and mix well.
- Then fry them in a griddle or pan.
Did you make a real food recipe?
It took me a while to perfect this – the recipe in my cookbook for these pancakes was too sour – this is just right and the kids love it. I fry the pancakes in butter (or the no-flavor coconut oil) on a hot griddle so they get crispy on the edges – yum! We like them with lots of local blueberries on top.
- Another great pancake recipe, only this one uses a variety of grains and is 100% whole grain, too!
- Meatless/Vegetarian/Lenten Meal Ideas
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?
- Kelly's Cilantro Ancho-chili Lime Mayo
- Recipe for popcorn with coconut oil
- Easy organic oatmeal recipe
- Eating healthy without sacrifices