Healthy Waffles and Pancakes Recipe!
I use this recipe for waffles OR pancakes and it makes a lot. With the extra batter I make more and only lightly brown them. Then when they're cool, put them into a freezer ziplock (with wax paper in between) to pull out later and toss into the toaster where they finish browning and you have a fast healthy breakfast! (Without having to use the microwave!)
This recipe uses flour that is soaked overnight, read what that means at that link and why it's a more nutritious way to prepare the grains in your diet. Short version: “Soaking” or preparing grains like this breaks down the phytic acid in the flour so all the minerals (from a big glass of whole milk) are better assimilated. It is also helpful for those with digestion problems, as this method is a way to partially “pre-digest” the grains.
Soaked Pancakes or Waffles
Ingredients for Part One:
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or my new favorite or grind 2 cups soft wheat berries – get soft wheat berries here
- 2 cups whole milk preferably raw milk (remember, low-fat dairy is not healthy!)
- 5-6 ounces plain organic whole-milk yogurt buttermilk, or kefir
- *Note: if you like yours to taste a bit lighter you can substitute half the whole grain flour for white unbleached flour or my favorite, Einkorn flour. (Get unbleached white flour here or get Einkorn flour here.)
- The night before mix together the Part One ingredients until moist. Cover and set overnight on the counter in a warm spot (or gently heat the milk first), for at least 7 hours.
- Just add the Part Two ingredients to the Part One mixture and mix well.
- Then fry them in a griddle or pan.
It took me a while to perfect this – the recipe in my cookbook for these pancakes was too sour – this is just right and the kids love it. I fry the pancakes in butter (or the no-flavor coconut oil) on a hot griddle so they get crispy on the edges – yum! We like them with lots of local blueberries on top.
- Another great pancake recipe, only this one uses a variety of grains and is 100% whole grain, too!
- Meatless/Vegetarian/Lenten Meal Ideas
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?
- Kelly's Cilantro Ancho-chili Lime Mayo
- Recipe for popcorn with coconut oil
- Easy organic oatmeal recipe
- Eating healthy without sacrifices