Bone loss is common as we age, and unless you’re taking certain medications that cause this (like acid blockers/proton pump inhibitors!), usually this weakening in our bones is due to hormonal changes as we grow older. Chances are you know someone who is dealing with either an osteoporosis diagnosis (or osteopenia, a lesser degree of bone loss), a bone fracture, or possibly you’ve noticed the beginnings of a distinct slouch, which is called kyphosis.
I was looking into this for a reader recently and thought I’d share my suggestions…
Note that there are several options to try below, that way if you want to hit it from all sides you can. However, if you're on a limited budget, read through and see what most resonates with you.
Help for osteoporosis and bone loss:
- If possible, it’s good to get a bone density test so you can compare later after implementing the following remedies. This is the only way to know for sure if you have osteoporosis, and to know if you're improving.
- You should definitely be taking this Colostrum, it's from grassfed cows, it's tested for pesticides etc., and is certified true colostrum before it transitions to milk, so it's absolutely loaded with nutrients. Also here are ways to get more into your diet.
- You (and everyone!) should also be taking this vitamin K2! Here’s why: vitamin K2 is the calcium police, it tells calcium to go to your bones where it belongs instead of to other areas in the body that we do NOT want it, like in the arteries or urinary tract–trust me, you do NOT want that.
- Question: Can K2 help if you've already been diagnosed with osteoporosis? Can it slow down bone loss and maintain bone health?
- Answer: K2 CAN slow down bone loss, because it slows down the activity that pulls calcium off the bone to use in other places. K2 also CAN put some calcium back on the bone and rebuild the strength of the bone. The Nurses Health Study in Japan with tens of thousands of patients showed Vitamin K2 reduced fracture risk by 80% or more, which is the biggest concern with osteoporosis. Another study in Japan studied vitamin K2 intake, and found that those who get more vitamin K2 from Natto have 50% less fracture risk than other parts of Japan where they don’t have as high of a K27 intake. Since Natto is so disgusting, I’ll stick to this vitamin K2 that is made FROM Natto (unlike other brands which are synthetic k27) and it also has the co-factors along with it that help it to be utilized correctly: zinc, magnesium, vitamin K1.
- By the way, if you do get the vitamin K2, be sure go here and use the code KOP for a discount.
- Remember to drink up your real bone broth and raw milk for nutrients in their natural form that build up bone health. (Scroll down here to read a story of a woman healing her osteoporosis after only one change: adding in raw milk to her diet. Want to find raw milk near you? Go here to find your local WAPF chapter and they can help you.)
- Note: Watch this video that explains why no one needs to take extra calcium. And check out this book, The Calcium Paradox.
- Get as much sunshine as possible (without burning of course) and when that's not possible (hello winter in Michigan), take vitamin D and cod liver oil daily! (Here's more about the importance of K2 if you're taking vitamin D or calcium.)
- Get low-impact exercise–walking is my favorite. Read my post on the benefits of walking vs. running and how walking brought my peace back.
- This collagen powder is also very good for bone and joint health (also to decrease wrinkles and other fun parts of aging) and has no taste so it's easy to slip a scoop into smoothies, cheese sauces, or any liquid. ***It's the only collagen that is certified glyphosate free!
- Lastly but very important: homeopathics can also be a huge help for osteoporosis and bone health, including building your bone density back up! Here's how:
- Always read this before beginning any homeopathic remedies or protocols.
- Begin with this on day one: Take ONE dose only of Camphor – this “clears the slate” as Joette says.
- On day two begin the following remedy: Calc Phos 3x twice daily, one dose in the morning and one in the evening. (You may also notice better sleep with this remedy.) Go to that link to buy the brand I love because it's more economical. You'll have to use the drop-down menu to find the 9x potency. This is a chronic remedy so it will likely work slowly over time.
- I'd just start with that remedy and the above supplements, however, if you're familiar with the Banerji Protocols, you may be interested in what the protocol for osteoporosis from this book said:
That's all I've got from my most recent research on help for osteoporosis and bone loss.
If you have more to share, please feel free to do so in the comments, and thank you!
–> By the way, the acid blockers/proton pump inhibitors mentioned above, ALSO negatively affect cognitive health, heart health, bone health, gut health!
–> Article: Do high protein diets cause bone loss?