You can make this fruit-topped cake with any type of fruit filling you'd like, originally it calls for cherry pie filling, but the kind at the store has high fructose corn syrup and other nasties, so try making your own homemade pie filling instead!
Trust me when I say there is NO way you won't love this fruit-topped cake, it's light and heavenly with just the right amount of sweetness. It's delicious with any type of fruit — I just see what I have in the freezer from what I froze when it was in season last and whip it up with that. The fruit-topped cake pictured here was made with peaches, but I've also made it with mixed berries and it's really good that way too.
This is definitely a sweet once-in-a-while treat, but at least it's homemade and it has plenty of pastured eggs and butter!
Check out more pictures after the recipe…
But first, the video, plays after the ad! (And will you go here to subscribe and give it a thumbs up, pleeease?)
Fruit-topped Cake Heaven
- 1 cup soft pastured butter
- 1 cup organic cane sugar-- Unfortunately this recipe is not quite as dreamy with the more natural sugars like palm sugar, but the original recipe called for 1 1/2 cup and I cut it back to 1 cup and it's perfect.
- 4 eggs beaten-- pastured eggs are best from your favorite local farmer
- 2 cups flour-- I use organic unbleached white
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder-- the kind without aluminum
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract, another recipe called for almond extract if you want to try that
- About 2 cups fruit pie filling <-- that's an easy recipe to make it homemade -- you could use mixed berries peaches, apples, or any kind of fruit you like! Lately I've been able to find organic pie filling at the store or at least some without high fructose corn syrup!
- Mix the dry ingredients and then add in the wet ingredients (except the pie filling) -- I use my Bosch. That thing is a workhorse. I've had it 14 years now and it's still going strong! Spread into a buttered 9×13 pan. Dollop the pie filling around the batter.
More you might like:
- Feel like chocolate and marshmallow yumminess instead? Little Better for You Smore Bars — 5 Ways these BEAT a Smore Any Day!