Did you know you can make homemade organic pie filling?!
The other day I was complaining to my friend Nancy, one of the best cooks there is, that if I have any recipes calling for pie filling, I can't use them anymore, because I've never seen an organic version. (All the store brands have pesticide-laden fruits, high fructose corn syrup, and other scary ingredients.)
She said, “Why don't you just make your own homemade organic pie filling?” I had no idea how to do that, so she filled me in!
Turns out it's no big deal, it's just not something my Mom ever made when I was growing up so I hadn't thought of trying it. It's good with whatever organic fruit you have on hand: apples, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches, pears, or a mixture!
Homemade Organic Pie Filling OR Fruit Syrup Recipe
- 2 heaping Tablespoons flour I use organic einkorn flour or organic unbleached flour – I don’t think whole wheat would work for this
- 1/2-3/4 cup organic cane sugar or this palm sugar the palm sugar isn't quite as sweet, so taste test to see if it needs more
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice best from organic lemons or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup water + more water as needed to get the consistency you want. You'll want it more thick for pie filling, more liquid for syrup.
- 3-4 cups fresh or frozen organic fruit whatever kind you'd like. (I used strawberries & blueberries when I made it, just because I had some in the freezer leftover from last week's Creme Brule. Peaches, raspberries, or apples are good too!)
- In a medium saucepan whisk together flour, sugar, lemon juice and water until well blended on a low-medium heat. (See above note about the amount of water). Add all but 1 cup of the fresh or frozen fruit, reserving the rest. Stir occasionally until it comes to a gentle boil (about 10 minutes or so) and is the desired consistency. Add another 1/2 cup or so more fruit right toward the end of cooking, so there will be some chunky pieces of fruit that aren't cooked all the way down.
There you have it, homemade organic pie filling IS possible! 🙂
- Here's the dreamy fruit-topped cake recipe I made with this pie filling, YUMMMMM