You'll love this creamy Mexican wet burrito recipe!
Do your kids usually turn their noses up at this type of recipe? Mine normally do, but they ate every bite of these and asked for more. Of course they didn't want the chunky salsa on theirs like we did, but at least they ate the beans, the taco meat (ground beef with heart and a little liver!), and cheese!
I remember back in the day before what I call my ‘food conversion‘, I used to make a burrito filling recipe that we loved at the time, but makes me ill to think about it now: canned chili mixed with Velveeta cheese of all things, NASTY!
This recipe tastes better and is much more nutritious!
Creamy Mexican Wet Burrito Recipe
- 16 to rtillas – I used organic spelt tortillas this time but you could make your own tortillas (they're easy!) and use sprouted flour or einkorn flour to make it extra nutritious!
- 2 pounds ground beef we use ground beef with heart from our local farm – Keep in mind that you could easily substitute shredded chicken or pulled pork for the ground beef! Get safe, healthy meat here if you don't have a good local source.
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix here's my simple recipe for taco seasoning mix
- 1-2 cans refried beans depends on how much you like (I used these organic soaked refried black beans)
Ingredients for sauce:
- 6 Tablespoons pastured butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour I like einkorn flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk substitute some of the milk or cream with some beef or chicken broth for extra nutrition!
- 2-8 ounce bars of organic cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix Or just use approximate amounts of spices: 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoons garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/8 teaspoon chili powder, sea salt to taste
- 2 jars tomato paste I use organic from glass jars
- Brown the burger in a cast iron pan with the onion until brown, and then stir in the seasoning. Turn the stove off and let set until you're ready to assemble the burritos.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce…
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Whisk until smooth and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes, being careful to watch it so it doesn't burn. Add the cream, and keep whisking. As it thickens, keep adding more milk. Add the tomato paste, seasoning, and cream cheese – keep whisking it in as it melts. If this is done before you're ready to assemble, just turn your heat off and let set.
Assemble the burritos:
- Butter two 9 x 13 or 8 1/2 x 11 pans.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of beans on a tortilla.
- Spoon 2 1/2 Tablespoons (or so) of meat on top.
- Roll up and repeat until you've got 8 burritos in each pan.
- Spoon half the sauce onto each pan of burritos
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Grass fed, raw cheese is best, but I just had some I got at the grocery store.
- Bake at 350* until cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly – it only took mine about 15 minutes.
- Makes two 9 x 13 or 8.5 x 11 pans, 8 tortillas each – 16 total tortillas. This creamy Mexican wet burrito recipe is a hit around here, we ate a whole pan one night, and then the next night we ate the other, but you could also pop the other one in the freezer for a quick meal on another night when you know you'll be too busy to cook!
- More Mexican recipes! Including this pretty homemade fresh salsa!
- My complete recipe index
- More Real Foodie resources for you!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.