The BEST Beef Liver Recipe
This BEST beef liver recipe is a post from a while back and I wanted to bring it front and center because most of you probably haven't seen it, and it's SO important to know how beneficial superfoods like liver really are for us! Don't worry, I give you an “out” if you just don't think you'll eat it…
I'm so excited to post this beef liver recipe! I knew it was high time I did something with that beef liver that’s been staring back at me for months from my freezer. I knew that to get it by the kids, and also myself because I can be almost as picky as them sometimes, it would have to be well hidden… I decided to make a recipe that has all the strong flavors I love in one dish. If you like all these things, too, then you’ll be golden: onions, garlic, cream cheese, sausage, and the jalapenos are optional, but SO GOOD.
Why in the world would you WANT to eat liver anyway?
Because liver contains more nutrients gram for gram than ANY OTHER FOOD!
- Liver has the most concentrated sources of vitamin A — it helps digestion, keeps sex organs/reproductive organs healthy, and is a powerful antioxidant.
- It's a great source of Vitamin B12 — improves muscle fatigue, sleep disorders, memory loss, anger issues, and impaired mental function, it's also a great source of folic acid, which works with B vitamins.
- Liver has a highly usable form of iron, which transfers oxygen to our bodies, needed for proper development of the brain and great for the immune system — iron in liver is 2-3x more absorbable than the kind added to conventional bread.
- Liver contains an unidentified anti-fatigue factor, which is probably why athletes use liver to maintain stamina and energy.
- It's a great source of nitrogen-containing compounds that are building blocks for DNA & RNA, and especially good for people with Alzheimers or any dementia.
What if you just WON'T eat it?
I should probably cover this, just in case. If you just KNOW you won't make it or eat it or get it by your family, then you all really should at least be taking these desiccated liver pills daily— that's my favorite brand. 🙂
So as you may guess, this beef liver recipe is a variation on this Jalapeño Poppers recipe…
Hmmm, what should I call it? “Jalapeño Poppers with Organ Meat?” That doesn’t have the “ring” I was looking for… I’ll go with this: “Jalapeño Poppers with a Superfood Twist!”
I even got it by our teenager!
He got home from school just as I was finishing the recipe (and quickly stirring in the pieces of liver before he caught on), and you would have been proud. I was so smooth and casual… “We’re having these with leftovers for dinner, but do you want a few now?” He said yes and ate a few. He never had a clue!! This from the kid who saw the package of liver in the frig last night and said, “What’s the liver doing in our frig? Don’t think I’m eating any of that!” He he he… I can’t describe the giddy feeling inside me right now! Kent and I and the other kids can eat a good pâté or braunschwieger once in a while, but it’s not something we’d keep coming back for. (Which is why we also take these desiccated liver pills.) But this recipe I would for sure. As a matter of fact, as I’m writing this I’m eating the leftovers, yum! Our ten year old said, “I LOVE this dip, Mom!” At dinner that night our teen just ate and ate. The two younger kids ate it but didn’t say much, I think the onion flavor was too strong for them. That was the point, to cover any other flavors!
Keep in mind that when you’re making this it might have a bit of a smell at times and it looks kind of globby as you put it into the pan, but when you know what a superfood it is, you can be a big boy or girl and just do it. Sally Fallon, Rami Nagel, and many others in the Real Food movement place liver at THE TOP of the list of foods that are the BEST for us and insist that we really need to try getting it into our diets.
Jalapeño Poppers with a Superfood Twist! (The BEST Beef Liver Recipe)
- Toss the cream cheese into a glass bowl so it can start getting soft (or use homemade cream cheese).
- Melt butter in a frying pan and add a few dashes of salt, onion, and garlic. Sauté until browned well. Put these into the bowl. Next add sausage to the pan and cook ‘til browned. (I keep this cooked in the freezer to toss into our breakfast eggs, so I just heated that back up in the pan.) Add this to the bowl. (Find pastured pork here.)
- Here’s where it gets interesting. Add a little bacon grease or ghee to the pan and fry the liver on both sides until it’s just brown in the middle. I know this picture makes it look gross, but you can do it. (Think of the money you might save on orthodontics…that’s what I’m shooting for, at least with our younger kids!)
- In the meantime, start cleaning the seeds and stuff out of your jalapeños. Be careful not to touch your eyes when you're doing this!! (Trust me.)
- This part will take some time but it’s worth it: cut the liver up into SMALL pieces. As I did this I made sure to remove any small pieces of goobers that were grizzly or wouldn’t cut up well. There weren’t many of these pieces, but I knew they would be found within moments by the kids if I didn’t get ‘em out.
- Now mix it all up good with a few more dashes of sea salt.
- Stuff your jalapenos. I had a couple cups or so of dip leftover which I served with crackers for the kids who don’t like spicy foods. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar, bake at 350* until poppers are hot and cheese is golden. About 12 minutes or so.
More posts you might like:
- How I got LAZY and the 5 ways I've recommitted to real food
- Get my favorite desiccated beef liver pills here.
- You may wonder: Is it safe to eat liver? Doesn't it store toxins?
- Do you have any organ meat recipes that everyone loves?!
- Or see this post about why it is THE number one superfood!
- A couple organ meat stories.
- Read about one of our healthy meat orders.
- You CAN eat beef heart! This one is easy, for real.
- How to sneak liver onto your dinner table — guest post from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship!
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.