In my other new post today I share a couple healthy meat stories with you, one about a new healthy food I can't believe I like, and another about a little Thanksgiving Day frustration…
Today, though, I thought I'd give you an update and let you know what we thought about our first grass-fed meat order. (Read more in the other healthy meat post and find info there on where to buy it.)
Our first order included:
- Veal Bones – I had heard these make an extra healthy, delicious stock, and I found this to be true – what a great base for soups, casseroles, Shepherd's Pie, beef stroganoff, etc.
- Braunsweiger – I had to try it at least once and as I explained in the other post, I'm geeked that I like it! Here are the ingredients: beef, beef liver, water, sea salt, onion powder, honey, white pepper, coriander, marjoram, allspice.
- Beef Tallow Shortening – we tried healthy homemade french fries! They were so good! But I've got to get a thermometer so I can get them just right the first time. They weren't done enough at first, but the 2nd batch was crispy and wonderful! They didn't last long here, and I loved knowing they were cooked in healthy oil.
- Spicy Beef Jerky – good for a healthy, easy, quick snack. Our teenager loves jerky.
- Plain Beef Jerky – he didn't like this one.
- Beef Bacon – the jury is still out about whether or not pork is good for us, even if from pigs raised in healthy ways, so I try not to serve it too often, just in case, but we love bacon, so I thought we'd try this. I didn't care for it, though. It was more chewy than crispy, and I loooove my bacon crispy. (There are pretty good arguments on both sides of the pork issue, anyone want to comment and join the debate?)
- Beef Head Cheese – I got this thinking Kent might eat it, because just the title was enough to turn me off…oh fine, maybe I'll take a little bite. Surprise! I really liked it! Similar to the Braunsweiger, It just tastes like a mild sausage, but more of a sausage consistency than the softer Braunsweiger. It was great on a cracker, too. Here are the ingredients… or maybe I shouldn't tell you. Just disregard this part if needed, and think of all the nutrition! Beef Head Cheese: beef, beef hearts, beef tongues, sea salt, white pepper, onion powder, coriander. Uncured. Fully cooked. Not preserved.
In case you're curious, I also wanted to tell you how this meat arrived… it was rock solid frozen, and it came from a few states away! It was sealed tight with an ice pack around it, in a styrofoam cooler, in a big box. I was impressed.
- You CAN eat beef heart – you don't even taste it when it's with ground beef, I promise!
- Does your grass-fed meat or raw milk ever taste “off”?
- Rookie Tips
- Organ Meats – ICK? Or Super Food?