Organic Oatmeal Recipe

February 26, 2008 · 25 comments

This easy recipe for organic oatmeal is even more healthy than regular oatmeal because it is “soaked” overnight with ingredients that break down the phytic acid. This way your body can absorb and use all the minerals from the fresh cream you add to the top in the morning (remember dairy fat is good for you and helps you lose weight!), or from the big glass of healthy milk, preferably raw milk, that you drink with it.

I don’t even like oatmeal, and neither does my daughter, but we both liked this!

BREAKFAST OATMEAL:

The night before, mix these ingredients together in a small saucepan (takes about 2 minutes):

• 2 c. organic oats (not the quick-cooking kind)
  • 2 c. warm water (filtered is best) (***Only 1 c. if you’re just adding hot water in the morning – see below.)
  • 4 T. organic whole-milk yogurt (even better: homemade yogurt from raw milk), OR you could also use whey, kefir or buttermilk – using ONE of any of these is the key to breaking down the phytic acid. (Those with severe milk allergies can substitute lemon juice or vinegar.)
  • 1/2-1 t. sea salt
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. real maple syrup (we get ours at our farm, ask at your local health food store)

Cover and leave it on the counter-top overnight.  (See comment #21 below about the length of time to soak the oats.)

In the morning, turn on your stove and heat the oatmeal to the desired temperature, and that’s it!

Small variation: if you have a hot water tap like we do, only use a total of about 1 c. of water the night before and mix it all in a bowl instead of a saucepan. In the morning scoop out what you want into a mug, add some hot water to heat it up, and you have a fast breakfast!

Kent likes to add peanut butter (?) and raisins. Others add real cream or they might use honey instead of maple syrup. You could also put some yogurt on top, nuts, ground flax seed, butter, or dried cranberries. There are many healthy, delicious, and kid-friendly options!

Note: this recipe was adapted from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, which is FULL of information and traditional recipes.

RELATED POSTS/LINKS:

1 holly February 27, 2008 at 8:36 am

I am looking forward to trying this! I was making oatmeal in the crockpot the night before and finally gave up because it was like paste! when I was doing that I was adding dried fruit which was yummy!

2 Michigan Mom2three March 31, 2008 at 4:20 am

Yes, my crockpot oatmeal came out like paste too.

Kelly, I have taken to stirring in a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil into my oatmeal, and a handful of my dried cherries (I’m a drying maniac when cherry picking starts around here! They are so expensive to buy, but to pick, they’re around $1 a pound and I dry them myself in my dehydrator to enjoy all year long.) I really like the coconut flavor, and my oatmeal is not “oily” at all. It’s similar to putting in butter. It also helps me to increase my intake of that wonderful coconut oil.

Shauna

3 Kelly March 31, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Shauna,
    Great idea – it even sounds good to me, and I’m not much of a coconut fan, but I wish I was! I’m starting to like it in more and more things, though.

4 Bamboo October 9, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Kelly,

I’ve been using this for a few months now and the kids love it. I don’t have a hot water tap, but I do have a tea kettle :). I boil water in the kettle and leave it simmering so that as each person is ready to eat the oatmeal is still fresh and warm.

I’ve found that your recipe is just enough to feed 4 for breakfast (I eat eggs).

Thanks,
    Beth

5 Kelly the Kitchen Kop October 9, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Thanks, Beth, that’s good to know. I’m not good about remembering to write down servings sizes.

Glad you like the recipe!

6 Elizabeth January 28, 2009 at 9:03 am

Hi Kelly! I’m going to try your oatmeal recipe (minus the honey or maple syrup) – love how it can be prepared the night before and just heated up in the morning. I’ve been adding flaxseeds to my oatmeal for over a year now. They are still in the seed form, not ground. I try to make sure I chew a lot. Any opinion on seed vs. ground?

7 may February 3, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Flax seeds and unsoaked nuts also contain phytic acid.

8 Kelly February 4, 2009 at 10:47 am

Elizabeth, I have never used flax seeds at all, I’ve always gotten my omega 3′s from cod liver oil, grass-fed beef, etc. So I’m not much help.

May’s comment brought to mind the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, though, maybe there would be more info there.

9 Elizabeth February 4, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Thanks! I’ll check it out!

10 JK April 23, 2009 at 4:28 am

Hi Kelly

Is rolled oats OK?
    Why do we need to add hot/warm water? The Birscher-Muesli seem to use cool water. What is the function of adding the hot/warm water?

Tks!
    JK

11 Kelly April 25, 2009 at 8:56 am

Hi JK, Yes, I think rolled oats are OK, but to be honest, I haven’t figured out the differences between oats yet, so I don’t know for sure. Maybe someone else will jump in on that.

In order for the phytic acid to be broken down, the mixture needs to be warm, so the warm water is just to give a jump on that – if your house is quite warm, it probably doesn’t matter.

12 JK April 30, 2009 at 4:16 am

Hi Kelly
    I soaked 1 cup of rolled oats for 24 hours with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
    What struck me was that after 24 hours, the soaked oats emitted a terrible smell (like that of vomit). Is this normal?
    Anyways, I rinsed the oats with water and added one cup of boiling water to it. Thereafter, I boiled it for 5 minutes.
    I must say, I like the texture of the boiled oats and it seemed to digest better.
    1) Did I do the right thing with the oats?
    2) I soaked dried raisins and figs separately for 8 hours. Is it necessary to soak these?
    Tks!
    JK

13 Kelly May 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm

JK, you probably were just smelling the acid from the lemon juice (similar to stomach acid). Nope, you don’t need to soak the raisins and figs…not as far as I know anyway. :)

14 Vera May 27, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Can ground oatmeal be used? I currently have Organic Scottish oats, which basically are ground, not rolled oats, on hand and I wonder if they would suffice?

15 Kelly May 29, 2009 at 1:43 am

Hi Vera, I think as long as you’re soaking the oats then it’s OK…?

16 Louise - CuremyFatigue July 12, 2009 at 8:15 am

Kelly,
    I have been cooking with Nourishing Traditions for about 4 years now.
    It is so hard to transition in the beginning. what?? I have to cook on my stove? Plus, I was already weakened and tired from years of the so-called “healthy diet.” Over time I have come up with all sorts of shortcuts to try to make old world meets modern technology.
    Here is my tip for soaking oatmeal.
    I bought a fancy rice cooker a few years ago. The fuzzy logic kind that has a porridge cycle. I put all the ingredients in before I go to bed and set the timer to be ready at the time I am getting up. It is perfectly soaked and cooked and ready to eat. It’s the next best thing to having someone bring you breakfast in bed.

Louise – CuremyFatigue

17 Louise - CuremyFatigue July 12, 2009 at 8:26 am

I should add the only ingredients that go in the rice cooker bowl are water, oats (either Mccann’s or scots) and 2 tablespoons whey. I add maple syrup, butter, cream, salt, and cinnamon after it’s cooked. It is also nice to add kefir or yogurt too. Oh! and lots of grated coconut. My favorite thing to eat. It also makes it all taste like candy by that time.

Note to Elizabeth on Flax Seeds
    You should ony eat flax ground or you won’t digest them. But cod liver oil is still better if you can’t make the DHA. See my fat page to understand the conversion of fatty acids. I side with more cod liver oil because my digestion is still on the mend.

Louise – CuremyFatigue

18 Kelly July 12, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Louise, what a good tip, thank you! Going to go check out your site now. Catchy title. :)

19 Louise - Curemyfatigue July 29, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Thanks, Kelly, and I say ditto to yours!

I think it’s great that so many of us are following Nourishing Traditions. The more the merrier! and the more tips and ideas to make it easier so we actually eat better quality food for our families health.

I also put up a page for oatmeal finally. It has the recipe and which rice-cookers work the best. That Sanyo looks very enticing. It has a slow-cooker cycle besides all the other options. I have the Tiger so I won’t be buying another one right now:)
    Here is the link to the oatmeal recipe

20 Rebecca K October 12, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Does anybody know the difference between steel-cut oats and regular rolled oats? I’m working on doing some stocking up and was wondering if you could help me with that,

Thanks,

Rebecca

21 KitchenKop October 12, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Hi Rebecca, here’s what I found:

Whichever one you use, just soak the heck out of them first to break down the phytic acid. I’ve heard 24 hours is best for oats, and I should probably add that note to the recipe, but that may make them taste a bit more sour. Overnight is definitely better than not soaking at all, though.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

22 Jill July 4, 2012 at 12:04 am

would a slow cooker,crockpot , on low setting work as well for the oats?

23 KitchenKop July 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

Do you mean for the time it needs to set? I’d think that would get too hot. You just need a warm area, but not too warm or it will all cook, and I think a low setting on a slow cooker would still be too hot.