Summer isn't over yet, not here anyway, we've got one more week before we fire up our homeschool again, so there's still time to enjoy this yummy drink on your deck with friends, although it's delicious any time of the year. You can even leave out the liquor and give it to your kids for a fun fruity treat, plus it's SO simple. Just throw in whatever fruit you have on hand. It's sort of like a smoothie, but not as loaded with nutrition as my superfood smoothies are. You know I can't leave it at that, though, so I do still add in one little secret ingredient for a nutrition boost that no one will ever know about, except those of you who keep reading, of course. 🙂
The best part about this is that it's just as tasty but a little better for you than your average mixed drink because it has no refined sugars, in fact, that's the reason you can even serve it to your paleo friends! I made these last week when we had our bible study friends over, because I wanted my paleo friend, Lyn, to be able to enjoy a fun bevy too. (For dessert I made these paleo blonde brownies that are SO good, even if you don't eat paleo.)
Paleo Sangria Daiquiri Recipe
Yield 10 Drinks
- 7 cups fruit puree, just use whatever fresh or frozen fruit you have on-hand. (Check the dirty dozen list for which produce it's especially important to buy organic and which produce it doesn't matter as much.) For this recipe I threw in strawberries, peaches, one orange, and the juice from 6 small limes. You could also use mangos, kiwi, pineapple, blueberries, bananas, raspberries, etc.
- Start with 1/3 cup real maple syrup. I ended up adding another 1/4 cup, but just taste to see how you like it. Amounts will depend on the type of fruits you use, since some are sweeter than others.
- Optional: rum, riesling wine — see amounts below in the instructions.
- Optional nutritional boost: 1 scoop of my favorite collagen! This provides healthier skin and nails, improves gut and joint health, decreases inflammation, builds or restores muscle, improves metabolism, and more. (10% off with the code KOP.)
Keep adding fruit until you get about 7 cups in your blender and puree well. If your fruit has seeds, you may want to strain it at this point and then add it back to the blender or pour it into a pitcher for serving easily.
As you serve the drinks (our glasses hold 1 cup), leave room to add in the the optional rum for adult drinks and stir well — I used 3/4 of a shot glass (which =1 ounce, which also =1/8th cup). If desired, you can also stir in a splash of riesling wine.
For the secret burst of nutrition…
Before you're done blending, add a scoop of my favorite collagen to the blender and no one knows, since this blends easily into cold OR hot liquids, and there's no taste!
Did you make a real food recipe?
And that is how you make a paleo sangria daiquiri — let me know what you think! 🙂
- Paleo blonde brownies mentioned above.
- The BEST grain-free chocolate chip cookie EVER from my friend, Jenny — these taste just like the “real” thing!
- How to Eat Carbs Safely and Lower the Glycemic Index of the Foods You Love (Also: Why Dieting Backfires!) — this post explains many ways to lower the glycemic index of the foods you love, but my favorite is the part about adding in more healthy fats. 🙂