A fun New Years Day breakfast
I've got a variety of breakfast pancake recipes in my arsenal, depending on how much time I have. Many options are below — and you can start a New Years day breakfast tradition too…
On New Year's day every year for the past several years, the kids wake up to the pancakes you see above. If we had friends sleepover the night before, then they're in the picture, too. 🙂 The numbers are not always recognizable, but the pancakes are almost always tasty, except for those years where I was still experimenting with my soaked pancake recipes! Now I've pretty much got all my recipes down, though, so if you want to start a similar tradition in your house, below are some breakfast pancake recipes and options depending on how busy your morning is.
Also, I always use my favorite electric frying pan for this, so I can make a lot at once.
New Years Day Breakfast pancake recipes and options:
- This recipe is for when you want to use properly prepared grains (for more nutrients), but you forgot to start your recipe the night before. It's a last-minute pancake/waffle recipe using part sprouted flour.
- Here's a blender batter soaked pancake recipe that incorporates more varied grains and is 100% whole grain (made not with flour but with the WHOLE grain), but isn’t heavy tasting at all! (I love my Bosch blender for this.) This one you start the night before.
- Here is the soaked flour pancake recipe that you also need to start the night before.
- Here’s a light and crispy Swedish pancake recipe – you can use any grains and even gluten-free grains in this forgiving but tasty recipe! These are more thin than traditional pancakes.
- This recipe for sourdough pancakes is the healthiest recipe of them all!
- We don't actually have pancakes that often anymore, so sometimes I don't use whole grains or properly prepared grains (GASP!) and will just use this all-purpose Einkorn flour and the easy pancake recipe in this Einkorn cookbook and whip them up in 10 minutes.
Don't worry, I didn't forget about you gluten-free/grain-free people! 🙂 Here are more breakfast pancake recipes and options for you:
- Paleo Pancake Recipe
- Grain-free Halloween pancakes
- As mentioned above, this light and crispy pancake recipe can be made with GF flour or baking mix.
Also remember to serve with plenty of pastured butter (pleeeease tell me you don't have any “butter” in a TUB in your fridge?! That's NOT butter, I don't care WHAT the brand is…) and real maple syrup — not the disgusting store-bought fakes like “Aunt whats-her-name”.
Here's a tip:
Freeze extras to pop into the toaster on busy mornings for a quick breakfast! Just don't cook them as long and when they're just a very pale golden brown but mostly done, cool a little, place them between pieces of parchment paper, and pop them into a sealed freezer container or baggie. Easy!
More you might like: