Now and then something will come out of my mouth that makes me step back and think, “Wow. There's one I never thought I'd hear myself say…”
The title for today's post is a good example of one of these phrases!
We received a Christmas note from our raw milk dairy farmer this week with a picture of our cow, Mikki. Isn't she pretty?
A very dairy holiday to you…
There is a wonderful passage in Annie Dillard's book, “The Living”, that seems pertinent to our times. The setting is the west coast in the late 1800's. A depression has begun, threatening many people with their livelihoods. Two men are sitting in a bar discussing the impending doom.
“When the market hit bottom…John felt himself more substantial than before…He knew Clare was broke too, but neither man could dissimulate his own good cheer. His tie undone, drumming his fingers, John Ireland looked amused. And why should John Ireland not be cheerful? Clare thought. John Ireland would get by, and so would he; he had a cow.”
You will find a picture of your cow enclosed with this holiday missive. Our wish is for a blessed New Year for each and every one.
Jeff & Karen Lubbers
- Here’s a book on the topic that you’ll definitely want to read: The Untold Story of Milk
- Benefits of raw milk
- Raw Milk Benefits and Information: Q & A with Mark McAfee
- Find a source of raw milk near you
- My favorite kitchen gadgets
- A visit to Lubbers' farm
- Karen talks about clean farming practices
- Karen's talk at the Deidre Currie Festival: milk comes from cows, not beans