If you want to know what to look for when searching out clean raw milk, today I'll help you learn more…
First, check out the links down below if you wonder what raw milk is, or why in the world anyone would want to drink it…This one is a great place to start: Raw Milk Benefits and Information: Q & A with Mark McAfee.
Recently our current source for raw milk decided to phase out his milk share program, so we'll soon begin getting our raw milk through Lubbers Farm.
My friend, Amy, & I took our kids and went out for a visit this week to pay for our share of Mikki (our cow) and to sign our cow share contract. We also got a farm tour, along with instructions from Karen on the clean and safe handling procedures when drawing milk from the tank to fill our milk jars. (Our milk will be picked up weekly, but Kent or I will only be going once a month, since we're in a group with three other families who will take turns going.) We were very impressed with how organized and clean everything was at this farm!
I TOOK PICTURES!
Below are some pictures I took, and I wish I had taken a panoramic view of the farm to show you, it is absolutely beautiful!
Karen is showing us around the milk house, where we'll be filling our jars with our fresh, delicious and super healthy milk!
Karen is answering our questions and teaching us how to use clean, safe handling methods when drawing our milk from the big tank.
Now Karen is showing us where the cows are milked twice a day.
This is Jeff & Karen's son, Casey, who runs his Little Rooster bakery right at the farm. Almost everyone I know who is as crazy about nutrition (and taste) as we are, eat his bread. It has the best flavor and texture of any other organic and 100% whole wheat bread we've ever tasted, and it's fermented for even more nutrition!
I'm so thankful that finding a local source for raw milk is getting easier as the demand continues to grow – people are becoming more informed! Just in our neighborhood alone now there are six, possibly soon to be seven of us who drink it. In my circle of friends, I can think of at least ten families who drink raw milk.
Those of you who drink and love raw milk, keep spreading the word! Maybe you could start by forwarding this post to your friends? 🙂
Links to previous posts on raw milk:
- Post #1 in the raw milk series – The benefits of raw milk are explained.
- Post #2 – Raw milk safety is discussed, along with the logistics (where to get it, costs, etc.)
- Post #3 is a guest post from Karen Lubbers – she was gracious enough to answer my questions for this guest post and talks about their farm and more about safety issues. She also answers other questions about good, clean farming practices.
- Post #4 is a guest post from my friend, Michelle, on how they decided raw milk was the best choice for their family, or “fresh” milk as Michelle prefers to call it. 🙂
- Benefits of Fresh Raw Milk – “Udderly Amazing” by MacKenzie – a friend of mine who wrote this late in her Sophomore year of high school (last spring) – wisdom beyond her years!
- Read the New York Times article that Karen gives out to all her new cow share owners – she says she wants everyone to be fully informed about what they're drinking.
- Raw Milk Benefits and Information: Q & A with Mark McAfee
- Don't think you're ready to make the switch to raw milk? Find out what the next-best healthy milk options are.
- Sick of talking about milk? Find some healthy main dish recipes