Is Exercise Necessary for Losing Weight?
This was another video about weight loss with Mark Sisson that was too good to let by without sending you over for a look.
We certainly want to exercise for cardiovascular benefits, to sculpt our bodies, to control insulin and blood sugar levels, but 80% of fat loss results come from how you eat, not how much you exercise.”
How many people do you see at the gym for 4 or 5 years, working out consistently on the treadmill or the elliptical, and they don't lose weight? It's because of what they're eating.”
Weight training is the most effective way to burn fat in those 23 hours a day you're not working out, it's the muscle that burns the fat throughout the day.”
I would have to wholeheartedly agree…
Last summer when I began running, I was out there consistently every other day and never lost one stinking pound. I firmed up and shaped up some, but it was irritating not to see a change on the scales or in my waist. I didn't have much to lose, but to see at least a 5# drop would have been nice. Then I began reading and learning about what Mark said above, that 80% of weight loss has to do with what you eat. It all became clear: I was still enjoying my sweets now and then, along with breads and pastas, etc., any old time I felt like it. Bingo.
Now I still haven't given up the carbs completely like Eva (who lost 46#), but when the scales creep up, I'll start watching it for a couple weeks and get things back on track. I also TRY not to indulge too much, and eat mostly whole grains. This link has more about all that and also a list of which foods are good for low-carb eating.
SEE THE VIDEO:
Mark Sisson on Fox News: What is the Best Way to Lose Weight?
NOW YOUR TURN! What do you think? IS exercise necessary for losing weight?
Do you, or someone you know, exercise regularly but still can't lose weight? Do you agree that it's more about what you eat rather than how much you exercise? What has been your experience with this?
More you might like:
- Want the easiest and most convenient way to get in some weight training right at home? (I love having this right here and I'm usually on it at least a couple times a week.) This is like the Bowflex we have for $600 and includes FREE shipping: Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym
(ours was $2000! But we also got the 310# rod upgrade, scroll down at this site and you can get that for an extra $99)
- Bowflex with FREE shipping and more options for $1100: Bowflex Xtreme SE Home Gym – there are also other options in-between those two prices at this link, too, including many accessories, etc.
- Have you seen all these dieting/exercise posts?
- Another similar post with more evidence to prove this theory from Scott Kustes. A quote from his post: “Exercise burns some calories, but not that much compared to the damage you can do with a fork.”
- The other FOX News video with Mark Sisson: which diet is the best?
- Dieting information just for kids – Overweight Kids – 16 Ways to Help