There's really no reason at all for you to buy the nasty ranch dressing from the store that's still full of crappy vegetable oils and other scary ingredients. The ranch packets of seasonings are no better, so skip those too. (Yes I bought both of those before I knew better.)
After playing around with it, finally this homemade ranch dressing recipe really does taste better than “Hidden Valley Ranch”, which is all we used to eat around here. It's super easy and fast to whip up too!
It’s a bonus when healthy real food can taste the way our twisted palates expect from our days of eating the disgusting junk. (I also wanted my 5-minute homemade mayo to taste “as good as Hellmans”, and that tastes so much better too, thankfully, since the ingredients in the store-bought stuff are just gross!)
Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe
Yield 1 1/4 cup
- 3/4 cup this mayo OR my simple 5-minute homemade mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream, pastured sour cream is best for the most nutrients (or even better, use dairy kefir to get more healthy bacteria in there, note that this will make it a bit more thin though)
- 1 Tablespoon organic (if possible) fresh or dried parsley or oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons organic garlic powder and/or onion powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sea salt, more to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or more to your taste
- A handful of chopped fresh cilantro is really good in here too!
Mix all the ingredients together well. If it’s too thick for salad dressing, add a little milk. If it’s too thin for a ranch veggie dip, add a little more sour cream, and then more herbs and spices as needed when you taste-test to get it just right. This is not an exact science and it's so yummy!
Did you make a real food recipe?
- 10 Best Ways to Use a Pressure Cooker for Healthy FAST Meals!
- More healthy condiment substitutions
- Why make a Family Favorite Meal List?
- Here's a sourdough bread step-by-step recipe