For Cinco de Mayo these grassfed beef burritos probably aren't very authentic, but they sure were good. I made some grassfed beef burritos for dinner recently, and of course I had to tell you all about it, even if I did just post a grass fed meatloaf recipe last week. It was so fast and easy, in fact, that I’m adding it to my “fast foods” list. Not only that, even the younger kids put these away and asked for more, so I’ll add it to our “family favorite meals” list, too. What a bonus, when a recipe makes both lists!
Grassfed Beef Burritos
- 1 pound ground beef we use grass fed ground beef with heart from our farm — here's where to get healthy pastured meats online if you don't have a good local source
- 1/4 cup Chopped onions
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1-2 Tablespoon homemade taco seasoning (try 1 Tablespoon then taste-test to see if you'd like more)
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup (or tomato sauce)
- 1 can of organic refried beans — the kind at that link are pre-soaked for less gas (also easier digestion, and more nutrition!)
- Optional extras: tomatoes or salsa, lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced peppers, avocado, rice, etc.
- Now you have your meat mixture all ready to put into tortillas with anything else you like–organic ingredients are best: lettuce, cheese, sour cream, chopped avocado, salsa, Kent likes Spanish rice inside his burritos too.
Try to find some tortillas with a short ingredient label (preferably without soybean/vegetable oil, trans fats, or HFCS!), or even better, make your own tortillas! Update: lately I've been finding organic tortillas right at our grocery store!
To make these grassfed beef burritos even better:
If you want to make them even more dreamy, then fill your tortillas, wrap it up as good as you can, and fry the sides in a pan with butter – it gives it a nice crisp! You could even make them into chimichangas if you have lard – just put enough in the pan to cover the bottom and when it’s hot, fry both sides until golden and crispy. Remember, traditional fats like butter and lard are good for you – it’s hard to believe, but true, and thank God! Read more at this page with posts on healthy fats.
More you might like:
No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.