Grain-free Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars

October 18, 2011 · 25 comments

Doesn’t the smell of fall, the crisp air, and the beautiful leaves just make you crave the flavors of pumpkin and cinnamon together?  You’ll love this recipe for grain-free pumpkin cream cheese bars.  In case you’re wondering, I still haven’t figured out the issue of grains (good or bad?) – there will be more on this in upcoming posts, but I am having fun experimenting with grain-free recipes.  Let me know what you think of these and if you have a recipe that’s different in some way, share your variations in the comments – I love tweaking my recipes.  As a matter of fact, I totally came up with this recipe myself, and was fully prepared for it to become my next Friday Food Flop, but it turned out really good.  What a surprise!

Grain-free Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars

Crust:

Filling:

(p.s.  Check out Kal’s Sponge Bob pumpkin from a few years ago!)

Mix up the crust and spread into an ungreased 8 x 11.5 glass baking dish.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350*.  Blend the filling ingredients together (I used my immersion blender) and pour over the crust.  Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350* or until almost set.  Let cool in the frig before serving.  Don’t forget the real whipped cream!

Makes about 16 medium sized bars.

More fall recipes:

1 Erin October 18, 2011 at 12:58 am

Yippee! I will definitely be trying these, as a year of getting away from the SAD led me to discovering wheat issues for me and mine (sigh). I just broke down and bought a can of pumpkin…now I will be able to resist making pumpkin bread! Thanks so much for sharing!

2 Leon @ Organically Thought October 18, 2011 at 2:12 am

That looks delicious! And I am going to show the boys the sponge bob pumpkin they are going to love that. My blog was on vacation for the last week getting a make over. I was very stubborn and insisted on writing my own WordPress theme. I was getting traffic from blogging but no one was commenting. I have employed a professionally designed theme that let me make the changes I wanted and now I would love anyone that has a minute to check it out and let me know what you think in the comments.

3 Betsy October 18, 2011 at 5:46 am

Ooooh! We’re having a neighborhood get-together in a few weeks and I think I know what I’m bringing!

4 Teresa October 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

Kelly,
    Can you sub out the palm for reg or sucanat in equal amounts?
    I dont buy palm here because it is expensive.
    Also I am trying to cut out wheat and love having recipes like this.
    Thank You!

5 KitchenKop October 18, 2011 at 11:07 am

Yes, that should be just fine. :)

6 Jill October 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

For a GAPS friendly version of this, I wonder if yogurt cheese would work instead of cream cheese? I might try it (also substituting date sugar for palm sugar and honey for maple syrup). Looks so delicious!

7 wendi November 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Have you tried with yogurt cheese? I just make kefir cream cheese type stuff and want to know if it will work with this!

Thanks!

8 KitchenKop November 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I haven’t tried it, but my *guess* is that it would work fine. :)

9 wendi November 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Fingers crossed!!! :)

10 wendi November 25, 2011 at 1:37 am

Update: I did crust a little different. Almond flour, coconut oil and soaked dates with cinnamon.

Instead of cream cheese I did coconut milk yogurt. Added about 5oz since its less solid and more liquid.

These were bomb!! My husband loved them which says alot! We will make there again and again I’m sure! Thanks for the recipe!!!! :)

11 Susan October 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

Okay…I don’t want to be the buzz-kill at the party, but after reading your yummy recipe, I went searching for palm sugar and the first thing I came upon was this post…..

Basically it shares how the demand for palm sugar is destroying coconut crops because tapping the trees for the sugar guarantees that the tree will never produce coconuts. I’m all for being able to have sweet stuff on occasion, but not while sacraficing the coconut trees! I love coconut oil too much to sacrifice that for some sugar.

Any other ideas on what I ban use instead of the palm sugar in the recipe??

12 KitchenKop October 18, 2011 at 11:07 am

You can try the other ideas above, but from what I’ve read, this isn’t true at all, at least for the kind I use.

13 Susan October 18, 2011 at 11:17 am

Kelly- you are so quick to reply! Thank you! I love your blog.

I read your link and I like it much more than the one I posted! I looked at the wilderness website and was curious: Do you use their coconut sap sugar? Is that the same as palm sugar?

And if you are using the sap sugar, how long does a 5 pound bag last for your baking needs? If I tell my husband I spent $25 on sugar he may fall over dead unless it lasts a while. I’m a moderate baker -very occasional-

Thanks again!

14 KitchenKop October 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

It lasts a long time because I don’t use it all that much, either, so you should be good. :)

Yes, coc. sugar and palm sugar are the same. Oops, I just double checked and I may be wrong, looking into this…

15 Lisa October 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm

These look yummy. I’ve been adding arrowroot starch to my almond flour recipes when I want a more flaky feel to the dough. It does introduce more carbs into the recipe but you’re only using a few tablespoons for a recipe like this. Arrowroot is used in Nourishing Traditions so I consider it a “real food”. Kelly, what are your thoughts on arrowroot?

16 KitchenKop October 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm
    17 Amy W October 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

YUM! Do you think I could subsitute almond flour with coconut flour or something else? We’re deathly allergic to tree nuts…

18 KitchenKop October 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

19 Lori @ Laurel of Leaves October 18, 2011 at 7:31 pm

This is seriously a drool-worthy recipe. Can’t wait to bring these for Thanksgiving (and not tell anyone in the family they’re actually healthy!)

20 Soli @ I Believe In Butter October 19, 2011 at 6:50 am

Alright, I definitely need to try making this. LOVE pumpkin.

21 JMR October 19, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thank you for the recipe. I have them baking in the oven now. I hope they taste as good as they smell, and as good as that photo looks.

22 France @ Beyond The Peel October 20, 2011 at 11:07 pm

It looks super yummy and I love the gluten free crust. I’m sure it would work for all kinds of desserts!

23 Soli @ I Believe In Butter October 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Annnnd I made these yesterday and brought them to my Italian class this evening. Everyone loved them! I have to make them again.

24 Lauren November 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm

YUM!! these just came out of the oven and of course I had to test a little corner to see how they tasted….sooo good! I have to get them in the fridge quick otherwise they won’t even make it to the “chill and cut into bars” step!! thanks for a great recipe :)