Monday was our first snow day of the year, so after the kids came in from shoveling and building forts, I decided to experiment with a gourmet hot cocoa recipe. Why is it “gourmet hot cocoa” you ask? Because it's homemade and has all real-food ingredients and is so much better than the mixes from the store! All the hot cocoa mixes I've seen at the store have trans fats, and even the organic mixes have powdered milk. (Read this post about healthy milk choices to find out why that's baaaaad.)
Building forts in the front yard!
This pic was taken off our deck – don't the trees look beautiful?
Gourmet Hot Cocoa Recipe
Whisk the following ingredients in a saucepan – use organic ingredients whenever you can:
- 1 Tablespoon butter, pastured butter is best
- 5 cups whole milk, preferably raw milk, never reduced fat milks!
- 2-3 raw egg yolks
- 1/2 cup raw cream – more if you can spare it, just decrease the milk (you don't have to use cream, it just makes it…you guessed it, creamier! If you use store-bought cream, don't buy ultra-pasteurized. <– Read that link to learn why!)
- 1/4 cup palm or coconut or other natural sugar (add a little more if you need it after taste-testing, but obviously less is better)
- 1/8 cup raw honey or real maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or a little more if you like it to have an even richer chocolate taste)
- 1 scoop of this collagen for extra nutrition, and you can't taste it! It's made from pasture-raised cows and gives you extra protein and nutrients for your nails, skin, hair, and joints. It even supports gut health and can help reduce inflammation. (10% off with code KOP.)
- Optional: a little real whipped cream, and a sprinkle more of cocoa powder or mini chocolate chips for the top, we like these allergen-free chocolate chips
Note: If you don’t heat it too much, it will retain more nutrients from the raw milk and egg yolks! Just heat it 'til it feels hot on your finger, but doesn’t burn.
Makes about 6 cups. Use a ladle to serve. The kids love it when I let them drink it from our glass coffee cups, and around Christmas time I'll plop a small candy cane on the rim for an extra special treat. I found these organic candy canes so they don't have all the junk in them that regular ones do like corn syrup, or fake chemical colors and preservatives!
Let me know if you love this gourmet hot cocoa as much as we do!
More you might like: