Recipe for Easy Homemade Bread / Homemade Buns / Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

February 28, 2008 · 24 comments

Be sure to see the update below with a much easier way to make the cinnamon rolls!

Seems like I never have hamburger buns when I want to make a quick meal of burgers for dinner, which everyone here loves. Also, it’s not easy finding buns without trans fats or high fructose corn syrup, so I started just making my own, and it’s really not a big deal, believe it or not.

The below recipe is adapted from my Zojirushi Bread Machine manual. (Note: if you’d like to make an even better-for-you version of homemade bread, or make 6 loaves at once, go to this more recently posted recipe for homemade bread or see the variations of that soaked recipe for making buns, etc.)

HOMEMADE BREAD DOUGH FOR BUNS, CINNAMON ROLLS, DINNER ROLLS, ETC.

Use the basic dough setting and put these ingredients in, in this order: (organic ingredients if possible)

• 1 1/2 c. warm water (make sure it’s plenty warm, but not so hot it will kill the yeast)
  • 3 t. rapid rise yeast or 2 t. active dry yeast
  • 2 2/3 c. unbleached flour
  • 2 c. whole wheat flour – adjust amounts of white vs. whole wheat flour to your taste. I grind my own flour in this grain mill so it’s more fresh and has more nutrients.  (Read more about grinding grains here.)
  • 2-3 T. raw honey (local is best)
  • 1 1/2 t. sea salt
  • 2 T. soft pastured butter
  • If you’re just making a loaf of bread or some rolls to go with dinner, try adding 1 t. of basil for an Italian bread flavor.

Makes about 30 rolls.

Now you have many options for what you can do with this dough:

1. Loaf of bread: instead of using the basic dough setting mentioned above, you could use a regular setting and just let it bake in your bread maker.
    2. Cinnamon rolls: when the dough beeps done, roll it out onto a lightly floured countertop. Spread/sprinkle over the top: 1 stick of melted butter, real maple sugar (or maple syrup or brown sugar) and plenty of cinnamon (I just use enough of each to sprinkle over all the dough, which I spread out to about 18″ around). Start at one edge and carefully roll it up. Slice into about 3/4″ sections and place them into a buttered baking dish. Let rise 2-3 hours, more or less depending on your yeast and room temp. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden in 350* oven. If you want them to be extra dreamy you can put more melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, and crispy nuts in the bottom of the pan before you put the rolls in, let them rise and bake. When they’re done, invert them onto a platter. YUM.cinnamon rolls
    3. UPDATE 11/08 – here’s an even easier way to make cinnamon rolls (no rolling the dough out): prepare the pan as described above (butter, sugar or maple syrup, cinnamon and pecans if you want them into the bottom of a baking dish), fill a small bowl 2/3 full with cinnamon & sugar…not sure how much, I just guessed – I like it very cinnamony. Grab pieces of your dough out of the breadmaker (or the Bosch) – between a golf ball and a tennis ball size. Shape the dough into a ball, and then work it around in the cinnamon & sugar mixture, flip it, stretch it in, just get as much as you can all over the dough. Tuck the dough back into a ball shape and place the folded pieces down into the prepared pan. Let rise and bake the same as above. Much easier, and just as yummy.
    4. Homemade dinner rolls: when dough beeps done, grab small handfuls of dough (I usually make them between golf ball and tennis ball size), roll it in your hands, and place on a buttered cookie sheet a couple inches apart. Let rise, then bake in 350* oven 15-20 minutes or until golden. I run a stick of butter over the top when they come out and also serve with even more butter (organic, pastured butter — from grass fed cows — if possible) so all the nutrients in your meal can be better absorbed.
    5. Homemade buns: Hotdog, hamburger, whatever – just follow directions in #3 above, and shape your dough however you want to, remembering it will rise some. This recipe makes 8 big hamburger buns. I make them a little smaller than a store-bought bun, and flatten it a little before I let is rise, so it’s more like a burger bun shape. When they’re a good height (you’ll know), bake at 350* until golden (about 15 minutes).
    6. You could also try this homemade breadstick recipe.

cinnamon roll photo

1 Nicole February 29, 2008 at 8:26 am

Aww, you posted the cinnamon rolls just for me didn’t you!? :)

2 Kelly February 29, 2008 at 10:01 am

Nicole,

That’s the least I could do, since you’ve been helping me do some research lately! :)

Let me know how you like them.

3 Bamboo June 18, 2008 at 9:10 am

Kelly,

Do you make an icing to go over the cinn. rolls?

We made this recipe for hot dog buns a few weeks ago – thanks so much for this recipe and the options for it.

Beth

4 Kelly the Kitchen Kop June 18, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Hi Beth,

You could easily make a not-very-healthy icing with powdered sugar, butter & milk, but I never do, because the sugar/cinnamon/butter mixture in the bottom of the rolls drizzles over the top when you flip them over onto a serving plate, and that is enough yummy goo for me. :)

5 cheeseslave June 26, 2008 at 11:40 am

Kelly, I want to use this recipe make hamburger and hot dog buns for my upcoming birthday party (I’m turning 40 on July 4th).

I’m going to go buy some sprouted flour today and yeast.

How do I do this without a bread machine? Can you direct me?

6 Kelly the Kitchen Kop June 26, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Happy early birthday, Ann Marie! (I’m 40 too, and feel great!)

First, just a note, you may want to use more white flour than whole wheat for this recipe if there will be a lot of people at the party who aren’t used to whole grains – the more whole wheat you use, it really is a heavier bread.

I’ll start with a warning: I haven’t had a lot of experience making bread without a bread maker, so please google this to make sure I’m telling you correctly, or maybe others will add their tips, too.

I think you can just mix the ingredients together until it gets difficult to stir, then start kneading it with your hands on a lightly floured counter for 10-15 minutes or so – it should have a good feel to it, not too dry and not too sticky. (You can add a little more water or flour until it feels good to you.)

Put it into a buttered bowl and let it rise until it’s real high in the bowl, punch it down, and let it rise again. Then grab out pieces to form the shapes for the buns, set them on a buttered cookie sheet, and bake.

Again, please check with someone who has more experience at this before you make a ton of buns for your party!

7 cheeseslave June 28, 2008 at 6:39 am

Hi, Kelly, thank you!

OK I’m going to do a test run today and see how they come out. Worst case scenario, I noticed they had sprouted hamburger buns at our local health food store (just in case I can’t get mine to work).

We’re also doing grass-fed hot dogs and burgers, baked beans made with molasses and honey, deviled eggs with coconut mayonnaise, lacto-fermented pickles, french fries in beef tallow, lacto-fermented ketchup, blueberry pie, cherry pie, and homemade vanilla ice cream (with raw cream and pastured egg yolks).

(My birthday is the 4th of July)

Hugs -
    AM

PS: You do not look 40!

8 Kelly the Kitchen Kop July 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Stephanie recently emailed me with this question:

“I make our own bread and I use the urban homemakers recipe. What I want to know (she hasn’t answered this question) is the best way to freeze the dough for later. Most websites say to do it after the first rise and before the second. Her recipe only has one rise, though. If I borrow my friend’s Bosch and make a lot of dough ahead of time, I want to freeze it the best way. Last time I froze it before the first rise and thought it wasn’t very good. I haven’t heard you talk about bread, so maybe you don’t know.”

My reply:

“I haven’t made Marilyn’s bread recipe, but I make homemade bread a lot. What I do is this: I make the dough and get it through all the stages until you’re to the last step where you shape it. I’ll shape it into breadsticks or rolls or whatever, set them on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and freeze until hard – 2-3 hours or so. Then I’ll take the bread and put it in a freezer baggie, then back to the freezer until I’m ready to bake. On bake day I’ll take them out at around 10 or 11 am if I want them for dinner, so they have time to thaw, then rise well. Obviously, depending on the temperatures, this can vary. Then bake like normal.

9 Bamboo August 10, 2008 at 10:43 am

Kelly,

I’ve been using your recipe and we really, really like it. I’m wanting to make the cinn. rolls but can’t see how it will work out for breakfast. Do you make it all the way through and then save it for the next day and reheat; make it until the rolls are in the pan and then refridgerate or freeze until ready to bake; or let rise the 2-3 hours before refridgerating/freezing? The 2-3 hour rise is what is getting me. As you can tell, I still have a lot to learn about bread! And: is it better to freeze or refridgerate? Say that I’m making the rolls today but we want to eat them for a special breakfast tomorrow, what would you do?

Thanks!
    Beth
    (hope my question makes sense!)

10 Kelly the Kitchen Kop August 10, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Hi Beth,

OK, I’ve got an idea that I’m almost positive would work well, but I haven’t tried it, so don’t be upset with me if it flops!

I would go all the way through the recipe, right through the baking, but take them out of the oven about half-way through the bake time.

In the morning, just preheat the oven and bake them the rest of the way until golden.

Let me know if that works…if not, I’m sorry!

The only other option I can think of isn’t as appealing in my opinion. Just go through the recipe, get them into the pan and ready to bake, but don’t bake at all. Put them in the frig. Set your alarm for about 4 hours (???) before you want to bake them and set them on the counter. Now go back to bed and while you’re snoozing they can come to room temp and then rise. If it’s all timed right, when you get up in the morning you can pop them into the oven.

One other thing comes to mind. You could make them ahead, put them into the pan, then freeze. Pull them out to the counter just before bed and hope that they don’t rise too high while you slept…yah, maybe that one isn’t a good idea…I’m thinking as I type.

Let me know what you try and how it goes!

11 Bamboo August 10, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Kelly,

Thanks so much for your ideas. I guess I sliced them waaay too thin because I ended up with 3 round pans of rolls, lol. Anyway, that way I’ll try each one differently and see what happens. One I had already put in the freezer so I’ll leave it there. The other 2 are rising right now.

Thanks!
    Beth

12 Anonymous October 23, 2008 at 10:19 am

Kelly, made your hamburger buns for the second time and they are so easy!! I will comment that I am able to get 12 buns out of mine. Also, I heat my water to about 100 degrees (for anyone who would like to put a number on “very warm”). It is so empowering to make my own hamburger buns. Now I have really earned the “Pioneer Woman” title my family calls me sometimes….:)
    Sue E.

13 Kelly the Kitchen Kop October 23, 2008 at 11:06 am

Hey Sue,

Did you know someone already stole your "Pioneer Woman" title? It's a good website, although her recipes aren't all that healthy.

Stand by because SOON I'll be posting an even healthier (but still super easy & yummy) recipe for homemade bread, buns, rolls, etc.!!!

14 Anonymous October 27, 2008 at 4:25 am

It’s funny you mentioned the “Pioneer Woman” blog, because just the other day I stumbled upon it through someone else’s blog!! How ironic is that?! I think she calls herself Pioneer Woman because she actually LIVES on the prairie like an 1800′s pioneer woman. I am a pioneer woman in the year 2008, in a modern house, trying to weed out extraneous things that pull on me 24/7 and do things the way women used to years ago….like many of your readers. I think it is hard to be that woman in these circumstances. Wouldn’t it be easier to live on the prairie without the extraneous things pulling every direction?? Have a fantastic, blessed day!
    Sue E.

15 Erin January 6, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Kelly, I have your bread in the oven as I type! I can’t wait to see how it turns out! I did make 1/3 into hamburger buns, my boys LOVE burgers, so I am really super excited to see how they like – they have been pretty accepting & encouraging of most things I’ve tried so far… but they do love their In-n-Out & Fuddruckers…so we shall see.
    I also did 1/3 into cinnamon rolls (I’ve NEVER done the filling with out Brown Sugar, so I’m a bit nervous about it just being butter, cinnamon & maple syrup! (I did sprinkle some chopped pecans on it before rolling though…;) So all that is freezing now…
    And the last 1/3 I shaped into a loaf & stuck straight into the oven, it’s looking pretty good, but taking a bit longer than I expected to bake. I must say I am VERY pleasantly surprised at how nicely it rose in the oven (with no rising time before that), I guess I’ve never done that before either! :0 See how you challenge me!
    I’ll post another comment to let you know how it all turns out – Cheers!

16 Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship October 21, 2009 at 3:58 am

Kelly,

I made these tonight but altered it so it’s 100% whole grain plus soaked!

Try using white whole wheat (from hard white spring wheat berries instead of red) flour in place of the bread flour. I also added 2 Tbs gluten b/c it seems like a lot of whole wheat recipes call for that, but I might cut down to 1 or skip it next time, just to see what happens. I used about 1/2 cup whey and the rest water, and mixed together everything but the yeast and salt the night before. I tossed the yeast and salt on top and let my breadmaker do its job today, then used the dough for Kimi’s beef and cabbage rolls (so yummy!). I did make a few regular rolls just to test the dough, and they look great! Thought you might like the healthy upgrade (you can win the white whole wheat flour at my site this week, too.)

:) Katie

17 KitchenKop October 21, 2009 at 8:28 am

Katie, thanks for the scoop! I’ll bet you’ll need that gluten though. I haven’t had good luck with 100% ww when I’ve tried it w/o.

18 Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship October 23, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Kelly,

Hard to tell tone in text, but I’m wondering: is there any problem with gluten, or do you have someone in yr house (teenager?) who doesn’t stand for 100% whole wheat? I’ve been surprised to see the white flour on your site, so I was wondering…

Katie

19 KitchenKop October 24, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Katie,
    I’ve heard/always thought that adding in extra gluten wasn’t good – it’s been a while since I’ve looked into it, though, and I can’t remember specifics. However, my problem (and ongoing struggle) is, what’s better? 100% whole wheat with gluten? Or part white flour with whole wheat flour and without extra gluten? So just because I haven’t been into experimenting with bread lately (been working on other things), I haven’t tried more recipes with 100% ww – in the past they were hard as a rock, won’t rise well, etc. (We will buy 100% ww and fermented/Little Rooster bread, though, and it’s great – we all love it.)

Take care,

20 Tracy February 12, 2010 at 3:26 am

kelly,
    doesn’t butter have some trace of trans fat too? you used quite alot of butter in your cinnamon rolls.

21 KitchenKop February 12, 2010 at 8:55 am

Hi Tracy,

Here’s some info:

“Certain forms of trans fatty acids occur naturally in dairy fats. Trans-vaccenic acid makes up about 4% of the fatty acids in butter. It is an interim product which the ruminant animal then converts to conjugated linoleic acid, a highly beneficial anti-carcinogenic component of animal fat. Humans seem to utilize the small amounts of trans-vaccenic acid in butter fat without ill effects.”

From http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Oiling-of-America.html

Good question!

22 Ann April 30, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Kelly,
    I want to try this recipe. I’m wondering if you have tried to make it with 100% sprouted wheat flour?
    Also, I have a Zojirushi Bread Machine and I’ve always put the yeast on top of the dry ingredients (which are both on top of the liquid ingredients.) Do you really put the yeast in with the liquid first?
    Thanks!

23 KitchenKop May 1, 2010 at 1:04 am

Hi Ann,

If you’ve had good luck doing it your way, I bet that will be fine for this, too.

As for 100% sprouted flour, I am positive that this wouldn’t make a nice loaf… Sprouted flour is very particular about who it plays nice with. Once I tried using sprouted flour (not 100% but at least half I think) and my dough was TERRIBLE. It was all gummy, then my loaf never got a good rise. If you master it, let us know!

24 Jill April 17, 2013 at 11:32 am

Has anyone made cinnamon rolls with sourdough? I have a birthday coming up and would love to try this.

Jill