Traditional Eggnog Recipe with or without Alcohol
The kids and I love making this easy traditional eggnog recipe at Christmastime (without alcohol obviously) and playing some board games by the fireplace — with Christmas music too of course. 🙂 Uno and Yahtzee are our current favorites.
The recipe came from my friend, Jeannie (different from this Jeanne) — she said she often gives it to her teenage boys to get extra protein in them for their growing bodies. This is much better for you than any “protein drink” you may have had in the past, and the eggnog you see at the store has disgusting ingredients. This one is made with ALL real food and it's nutrient-dense too! I love how this recipe includes whey. I know some drink it straight for health reasons, but I doubt I could do that, so this is a much tastier idea…
I had to adjust her amounts a little because this made too much for my blender. (I found this out after an unfortunate experience…)
Both eggnog recipes below can be made with or without alcohol, depending on your crowd!
Jeannie's Traditional Eggnog Recipe without Alcohol
- 5 egg yolks eggs from pastured chickens are best, don't eat grocery store eggs raw
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg to taste
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons whey if you have it
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice organic if possible
- 3 cups raw milk or pasteurized whole milk, NOT ultra-pasteurized — read more about that here!
- 1 cup raw cream see above
- 1 scoop of this grass-fed collagen for extra protein and more nutrients
- 1/2 Tablespoon of this grassfed colostrum for extra nutrition and immune system building!
- A splash of rum in each glass, if desired (I'm going to try spiced rum!)
- Beat or blend eggs until thick. Add cream and blend more as it thickens again. I use my Bosch blender. Add syrup, salt, nutmeg, whey, collagen, colostrum, and lemon juice. Add milk, and rum if you're using that. Blend until frothy. Enjoy! (You could also use more cream and less milk if you like it thicker.)
For a Large Group:
Here's another traditional eggnog recipe with or without alcohol
This is from my dear friend Kim Schuette who passed away Christmas Day 2018. 🙁 “This traditional eggnog recipe is a staple at Kim's Christmas dessert parties!”
- 24 eggs, separated
- 2 cups maple syrup or hazelnut syrup
- 2 quarts raw milk
- 2 cups Bourbon
- 1 cup cognac
- 2 quarts raw heavy cream
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Beat the egg yolks together with the syrup until the mixture is thick and creamy (along with optional collagen and colostrum). Add milk, Bourbon and cognac. Stir well. (This mixture is the eggnog base and can be made a day or two in advance.)
- Just before serving, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Separately whip the egg whites until peaks form and it thickens. Fold both the cream and the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the eggnog into a very large bowl, sprinkle a grating of fresh nutmeg on top and serve.
More posts you might like:
- Try these yummy smoothies – your kids will love them, and they're a great way to get coconut into your diet