Doesn't this look goooooood? Kent and I loved this pecan-crusted mozzarella salad! It's adapted from a recipe that a friend gave me. Yes, it's similar to my other Caprese Salad recipe, but the fried cheese on top gives this an extra crazy-delicious edge. Try it and let me know what you think. 🙂
Pecan-Crusted Mozzarella Salad
Toss the following together:
- Use a food processor (I used my small processor) to chop 1/2 cup crispy pecans until they're in very small pieces. (If you're grain-free, omit the bread crumbs below and chop one more cup of crispy pecans, this time until they're almost as fine as flour.)
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Now line up three bowls:
- One with 2 Tablespoons einkorn flour (or a little bit of the finely ground pecans if you're grain-free)
- One with a pastured egg, beaten
- One with the above pecan/cheese mixture
- Next, slice up pieces of fresh, soft mozzarella cheese, the kind you find near the deli at the store in a container with water in it or in a log. (I like the log better because the one with water has icky preservatives in it.)
- Dip each slice of cheese first into the flour, shake off, then dip it into the egg mixture, then into the pecan/cheese mixture.
- Fry in butter, lard, beef tallow, or ghee until golden brown on each side.
In the meantime, throw the rest of your salad together:
- Organic greens if possible
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil (I found green and purple!)
- For the dressing, we love balsamic vinegar (whatever your favorite brand is) and Olive oil to taste, I just pour in a little of each without measuring. Homemade ranch is good on this too!
Serve the fried cheese on top of the salad and enjoy!
Note: If you're serving more than a couple people, you can keep the cheese that you've already fried on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet in the oven on very low heat so it stays warm until you're ready to serve. Don't let it get too hot, though, or it will melt all over — if that happens, it'll taste just as good, but won't look as nice.
Enjoy your pecan-crusted mozzarella salad and let me know what you think!
More you might like: