A creamy organic squash bisque with good-for-you ingredients
Not everyone loves squash, it took me until my mid-30's to like it, but now it's one of my favorite things about fall. I've had squash soup at restaurants before and decided I could make my own, and make it with healthier ingredients. It was very easy and hit the spot on a cool fall day. Try this organic squash bisque and let me know what you think!
Organic Squash Bisque
- 8 Tablespoons butter-- pastured better is best
- 3/4 cup flour-- I love Einkorn flour lately, here's why
- 2 cups milk and/or cream
- 1 cup chicken broth-- I now know how quick and simple pressure cooker broth is so I can make some mineral-rich broth more quickly in a pinch. If you just don't think you will make it or want some on hand for when you're really crunched for time, try this bone broth — it's 100% grass-fed with a bunch of gelatin, organic ingredients, and it's shelf stable! I love keeping their beef and chicken broth on-hand for quick recipes because they make it just like I do here, and without the nasty msg-like ingredients, additives, or preservatives that store-bought has.
- About 2 1/2 cups butternut squash (you could also substitute canned pumpkin) –it doesn't have to be an exact amount–see below for more info on how to prep it.
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup or more to your taste
- Add sea salt & pepper to your taste
- Melt butter in medium soup pot. Add flour and whisk until smooth (let it bubble for a minute or two, but don't let it burn). Add milk or cream, chicken broth, and squash and keep stirring to be sure it doesn't stick or burn. (If you have any squash chunks in there that you don't think will fly with the kids, you can use a Hand Blender to make it a more smooth consistency). Mix in maple syrup, salt and pepper.
More you might like:
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.