Remember yesterday I posted this chart that showed pharmaceutical profit percentages? (Xanax has a 570% markup! Yes, you read that right…) Well, now I’ve got more shocking information for you.
First, I feel the need to give my “pharmaceutical bashing disclaimer”:
Yes, there are times in life when we may be very thankful for certain medications. And I’m sure that not all those in the pharmaceutical industry are crooked money mongers. There may even come a day when a medication could help to save our lives…but it won’t be a cholesterol medication, I’m confident of that.
“But you didn’t refill your TriCor!”
As I told you the other day, my sister has been getting into real food more and more (yahoooo!) and has seen dramatic changes in her blood sugar, blood pressure, energy levels, and weight, too. From all of her reading, she’s also decided to go off her cholesterol meds. (Did I mention YAHOOOOOOO?!) So she got this big wad of papers from the pharmacy the other day:
We noticed the date for your refill of TriCor has passed. We understand that there are many reasons you may not have ordered your refill. Maybe your doctor has changed your medication, your benefits have changed, or you’ve gone to a different pharmacy. However, if you’re still taking this medication, we’re concerned about you and how well your condition is being managed…”
It goes on with more mumbo jumbo and at the bottom it says this:
This message was developed by your pharmacy. Abbot Laboratories funded the cost of this mailing and paid a fee to your pharmacy for its distribution.”
Isn’t that considerate of them?
The helpful enclosed information lets you know to be sure and use TriCor with a diet “low in saturated fat and cholesterol”, and says that you should choose a “heart-healthy diet” rich in:
- Fruits & vegetables
- Whole grains
- High-fiber foods
- Poultry with the skin removed
- Lean meats and fish
- Fat-free or low-fat dairy products
The really great part (dripping with sarcasm here) is that if you follow their advice, you’ll go on to need LOTS more of Abbot Laboratory's drugs in the future!
Side effects listed on their information:
- Increased liver enzymes
- Gallstones, inflammation of the gallbladder or pancreas
- Abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting
- Unexplained muscle pain, tenderness or weakness
- Back pain
- Respiratory problems
Oh and by the way…
“TriCor has not been shown to prevent heart disease or heart attack.”
- How do you know who to believe?
- Statins after a heart attack? – read about my brother-in-law’s heart scare.
- Read about Mike’s follow-up appointment at the heart doc.
- Read the truth about healthy fats (more statin info toward the bottom).
- How difficult was it for you to give up the low-fat mentality? (Share your story!)
- I get a small commission on any items you order through my Amazon link, and right now they have 50% off on certain Kitchen & Home items. (Thank you!)
- Have you seen this trailer for the movie, Side Effects? (Note: it’s not appropriate for kids.)
- I decided at the last minute to throw up the following trailer, too. It's from a movie I saw last year called, “Food Matters.” I seem to remember a bit of a push toward vegetarianism in the movie, but this trailer does have some great sound bites that you'll love if you haven't seen it. (Have you read, “Are Meat Eaters Ruining the Earth?”)