Do you love low-carb fish tacos? Or ANY fish tacos? Us too!
I got too much fish out of the freezer the other day and we were sick of eating it fried (as yummy as it is), so we decided to try making fish tacos! Kent, who didn’t used to like fish, is really coming around. It started with his friend, Joe, taking him to a good restaurant near Detroit where he first had them, and it's grown on him more from there. So I had leftover Tilapia to use up, and although it may sound odd to you (the word “fish” with the word “tacos”), trust me, it’s good, and sooooo easy!
Easy Low-Carb Fish Tacos (or Regular!)
- Any fish you prefer. Here's where to find a safe source of seafood online if you don't have a good local source. About 1 palm-sized piece per person.
- Olive oil, ghee, or beef tallow for frying.
- Taco seasoning
- Make your own tortillas or sometimes I'll buy these. I like mine with this rice instead of tortillas. (See #9 here for how to make rice SO easily in the pressure cooker!) Or omit both for those who are eating low-carb.
- Plenty of fresh lime juice to squeeze on top
- Avocado slices
- Whatever else you like on your tacos: sour cream, ranch dressing, salsa, lettuce or sliced cabbage, tomato, shredded cheese, etc.
- We also like it with this corn and bean salsa!
- Or with spicy mayo — yum!
Cut fish into bite-sized pieces. Fry on medium heat in your healthy fat of choice in a frying pan. Sprinkle on some taco seasoning (however much your family likes – I go easy since a couple of the kids freak out if it’s too spicy, so start with 1/2-1 teaspoon), and keep stirring it around until it’s done. Before serving, squeeze some fresh lime juice, avocado and cilantro over the top.
Serve on tortillas with whatever you like on your tacos: sour cream, salsa, lettuce or sliced cabbage, tomato, shredded cheese, etc. I prefer these without a tortilla for some low-carb fish tacos, so I'll eat it with extra lettuce or cabbage. Or sometimes I'll eat it over rice with extra lime juice, yum!
Some like these with fried fish, and that's good too. 🙂
Have you ever made fish tacos? Do you eat them without tortillas or rice for low-carb fish tacos? Or how do you make yours?
Related posts, or not:
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.
photo: sifu renka