This healthy popcorn made with coconut oil is not just a good-for-you snack, it's also filling and nutritious…
Many of you may not realize what a simple, yummy and healthy snack popcorn is, especially this healthy popcorn made with coconut oil!
Kids love it, and of course it's great for movie night–this is even tastier than movie theater popcorn. Still using the chemical-laden microwave popcorn? This blows that stuff away, try it and see!
4 tips for making this healthy popcorn made with coconut oil extra nutritious!
1. Use a good coconut oil. This one is my favorite. And if you're trying to get more coconut into your diet for these health benefits, but you're like me and don't like the flavor in certain recipes, this is a recipe for people like us. Everyone loves this and it reminds me of how old-fashioned movie theater popcorn used to taste before they stopped using coconut oil–because it was more expensive than the cheap heart-killer fake oils they use now. Don't worry, the flavor isn't overpowering. It also keeps very well in freezer baggies for many days without becoming stale. I don't know exactly how long because it doesn't last long around here! I've even sent it to our friend, Nick, in Iraq and it travels quite well! By the way, some have trouble digesting popcorn, or they can only have a little, so keep that in mind just in case it doesn't set right with you. Note that you could use avocado oil instead (but never the heart-killer nasty oils like canola or soy), and it's still good, just not quite as good.
If you still don't think you'd like the flavor, you could use this no-flavor coconut oil instead.
2. Use this yummy heirloom popcorn. It's not organic but it is no-gmo, and it doesn't stick to your teeth or have a tough chewiness to it, it is JUST right! (At that link you can read in the Q&A's about how it's grown. If anyone finds an organic brand that is not tough to chew, please let me know.) Update: I did find THIS organic heirloom popcorn, let me know if you try it!
3. Use a good popcorn popper like this one: Stainless Steel Popcorn Popper. I've been through many popcorn poppers since we began eating healthier and finally found one I love! This one has no nasty Teflon, no dangerous aluminum next to your food (make sure you get the one with stainless steel throughout), and it tastes much better than when it's cooked in an air popper–those make popcorn taste dry and blah.
4. Don't be afraid to add melted butter and sea salt liberally, and see this post for more fun flavoring ideas! (With nutritional yeast for B vitamins and yummy flavor!)
Kelly's Popcorn Recipe with Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons organic coconut oil -- the coconut flavor is very mild, but for zero coconut flavor, use this no-flavor coconut oil instead. (You could also use avocado oil if you don't have coconut oil.)
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- 1/3 cup butter (or more!), melted — pastured butter is best
- 1/2 teaspoon or more real sea salt
- Scoop coconut oil into the popper and heat up for a few seconds. Add popcorn and keep stirring the handle periodically until the popping stops. Pour popcorn into a glass or ceramic bowl (hot foods should never touch plastic), and add the melted butter and sea salt. Shake or stir it around good then test to see if it needs more salt or butter. Enjoy!
- Comment below if you have coconut tips or more recipes with coconut – the more we can get into our diets, the better! Or check out this post for new ways to use coconut oil. Don't forget to check out the popcorn flavor ideas below, including a "Dorito popcorn" recipe!
More you might like:
- Wonder how in the world popcorn can be good for us? Or if it's gmo-free? Shouldn't popcorn be soaked since it's a whole grain? Click here to find out all of that and more.
- Read here about the many benefits of getting more coconut into our diets!
- Kettle Corn made with coconut oil – much easier than caramel corn and gives you that nice sweet WITH salty flavor.
- Don't forget to try these recipes next: Chicago Style Popcorn & Dorito Popcorn! (With nutritional yeast for B vitamins and yummy flavor!)