We saw something similar to this barbecue ranch chicken nachos recipe on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, but I'm sure these were MUCH better because of all the real food ingredients. Just sayin'… We scarfed these down and had to get another pan into the oven. And once we tried this sauce (I just threw it together and nailed it, if I do say so), we have since used it for all sorts of other things, like on homemade sub sandwiches, as a vegetable dip, or… I'm eating sorta low-carb these days, so I just put all the veggies onto a bed of lettuce and used the barbecue ranch as a salad dressing. Oh. My. Gosh. It was super flavorful and satisfying. 🙂
Barbecue Ranch Chicken Nachos
- Organic corn chips
- 4-5 Boneless skinless chicken breasts, amount depends on how many you're feeding, preferably from a farmer you know and trust to raise his chickens humanely — if you don't have a good local source for safe, healthy meat, you can order it here. (Tip: Make extra of this chicken and freeze some for a quick dinner another day!)
- Chicken broth — see Bone Broth for Rookies for help OR you can buy some awesome bone broth here if you don't want to make it.
- A few cloves of garlic and/or 1 onion for extra flavor chopped (or dried garlic/dried onion)
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce --click here for my recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Chopped fresh or dried herbs if desired: parsley and/or cilantro
- Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Lettuce cut into shreds or bite-sized pieces
- Tomatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- Extras if desired: chopped green onions black olives, avocado, jalapeno, or limes
- Start by throwing some frozen boneless, skinless chicken in a crock pot in the morning with some bone broth from the freezer. (You always have a bunch of that in the freezer, too, right?) Also add the onions and/or garlic if you want to, for extra flavor. About an hour before it's time to eat it should be falling apart, so just shred it with a fork and stir in the cumin and sea salt. Mix the sauce ingredients together and do your chopping. Preheat the oven to 350*, and now it's time to assemble:
- Spread out the nacho chips then spread the chicken over the chips. Then dollop the sauce around the whole pan and sprinkle the cheese around. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the chips are getting a little brown on the edges.
- Sprinkle on any of the extras that your heart desires. I only had some parsley and cilantro from our pots on the deck. Add some lettuce, then throw on tomatoes (preferably fresh from your garden or farmer's market). Add extra sauce on the side for dipping too. Squeeze some lime juice over the top if you love it as much as we do!
Now dig in, and let me know what you think of all this deliciousness!
You could serve these with:
- This Spanish Rice Recipe: Easy Mexican Side Dish
- You could also put this homemade salsa on top instead of some of the veggies
- Try making homemade healthier-than-usual margaritas with the recipe in this Natural Cocktails book!
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.