This recipe for how to make homemade taco seasoning includes instructions on making a whole jar of it to keep on hand, and this kind doesn’t have the junk that the taco seasoning mixes from the store have! (Try this recipe in a yummy Mexican soup: Organic Baja Chicken Enchilada Soup.)
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
(These amounts are for one pound of ground beef but this is also good with chicken or pork for all kinds of Mexican recipes – see my complete list of Mexican recipe ideas here!)
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used to omit this, but a reader friend, Elaine, said this: “You mentioned that you omit the 1/8 tsp. red pepper. I am the biggest wimp on planet earth and I still put a generous 1/8th (or more?) and it is so well balanced with the other seasonings that it is fine. Trust me – if it were too hot, I would tell you! Even my kids who are wimps like me don’t notice or say anything. You might like the flavor.”)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or more)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend well. For taco meat: brown 1 lb. ground beef. Drain. Add 1/2 cup water and the seasoning mix. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
HOW TO HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING TO KEEP ON HAND (a whole jar of it)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (more if you want more of a bite)
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup sea salt (this sounds like a lot, but it’s how the math came out…?)
- 1/8 cup garlic powder
- 1/8 cup ground cumin (or more to your taste)
Mix all ingredients together. Use about 2 Tablespoons per 1# of ground beef. (I use heaping Tablespoons.)
Note: the above picture I snapped before it was all shook up (doesn’t it look neat?), and at the right is how it looks mixed together.
- Check out Sue’s post on natural, healthy, green mothering
- Like Mexican food? Here’s another good one: Mostly Organic Chicken Enchiladas
- One more: Jenn’s Mexican Lasagna
- Hate Mexican food? Check out these other main dish recipes.
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.