This recipe for how to make homemade taco seasoning includes instructions on making a whole jar of it to keep on hand, and this kind doesn’t have the junk that the taco seasoning mixes from the store have! (Try this recipe in a yummy Mexican soup: Organic Baja Chicken Enchilada Soup.)
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used to omit this, but a reader friend, Elaine, said this: “You mentioned that you omit the 1/8 tsp. red pepper. I am the biggest wimp on planet earth and I still put a generous 1/8th (or more?) and it is so well balanced with the other seasonings that it is fine. Trust me – if it were too hot, I would tell you! Even my kids who are wimps like me don’t notice or say anything. You might like the flavor.”)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or more)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend well. For taco meat: brown 1 lb. ground beef. Drain. Add 1/2 cup water and the seasoning mix. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
HOW TO HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING TO KEEP ON HAND (a whole jar of it)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (more if you want more of a bite)
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup sea salt (this sounds like a lot, but it’s how the math came out…?)
- 1/8 cup garlic powder
- 1/8 cup ground cumin (or more to your taste)
Mix all ingredients together. Use about 2 Tablespoons per 1# of ground beef. (I use heaping Tablespoons.)
Note: the above picture I snapped before it was all shook up (doesn’t it look neat?), and at the right is how it looks mixed together.
- Check out Sue’s post on natural, healthy, green mothering
- Like Mexican food? Here’s another good one: Mostly Organic Chicken Enchiladas
- One more: Jenn’s Mexican Lasagna
- Hate Mexican food? Check out these other main dish recipes.
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.