For years I didn't have any luck with homemade organic chocolate brownie recipes, they always came out hard and I had to resort to the nasty boxed mixes that still have trans fats, until I found this recipe for fudgy cream cheese brownies, these are so soft and so good! I've adapted and tweaked it a lot of course. Note: these are more of a cake-like fudge brownie, and are very moist and dreamy. UPDATE: Also check out my newer “more like boxed” fudge brownie recipe here.
Fudgy Cream Cheese Brownies
Makes one square pan of brownies or double for a 9×13.
- About 4 ounces German sweet chocolate (I didn't have that on hand so instead used 4 ounces of chocolate chips)
- 5 Tablespoons butter – I use organic
- 3 ounce organic cream cheese, softened – have you tried homemade cream cheese?
- 3 eggs – preferably from a local farm with pasture-fed chickens
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use separately) – I use organic to avoid preservatives
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder – I use the kind without aluminum
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped crispy pecans (optional)
- Melt chocolate with 3 Tablespoons of the butter over very low heat. Stir constantly until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Cream remaining 2 Tablespoons butter with cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar. Cream until light and fluffy. Blend into this 1 of the eggs, 1 Tablespoon flour of the flour and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside.
- Now beat the remaining 2 eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually beat into them 3/4 cup sugar. Continue beating until thickened. Stir in the baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup flour. Add to this the cooled chocolate mixture. Blend well. Stir in the nuts and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread half of the chocolate batter into an 8×8″ buttered glass baking dish. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the top. Then drop the remaining chocolate batter by tablespoons over the top of the cream cheese mixture. Swirl through batter layers with a spatula or knife for a marbled effect.
- Bake in a preheated 350* F (175* C) oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool in the pan. Cut into squares or bars.
- Being the chocoholic I am, I then sprinkle more chocolate chips on the top after the brownies come out of the oven – they melt into a yummy frosting. A little homemade whipped cream on top is dreamy too!
- Note: I doubled the recipe for a 9×13, and it took about 45 minutes, but oven temps can vary, so keep an eye on it. (I pulled it out when it was soft on top and felt almost set, but not too firm – I don't like them too done or they're dry.)
Let me know how they turn out for you!
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?
- My 7 favorite Kitchen Gadgets
- Coconut oil benefits for dieting and more, which I'll really need after all that chocolate