Surprisingly, everyone loved this cabbage roll soup!
Kent's brother, Kip, is a police officer up North, and also happens to be a great cook. (He's a pretty great guy, too, like all Kent's brothers; and you've never met bigger smart alecks, although “alecks” isn't the word I'd normally use there…) He sent me this recipe and wow, what a HIT with the fam. It's easy to pull together quickly for busy nights, so that makes it an even bigger hit for ME. It's an antioxidant-rich, low-carb, super flavorful meal!
Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 pound ground beef (If you don't have a local source for pastured meats, find safe, healthy pastured meats here)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped (or used dried onion if you don't have fresh)
- 1 clove garlic (I used more like 4 cloves! Again, used dried garlic if needed)
- 1 small cabbage, chopped (if you have a bigger cabbage, use the rest for this yummy roasted cabbage recipe)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- About 30 ounces organic diced tomatoes (best if you chop them fresh or buy them in a glass jar to avoid the BPA in the can lining)
- 8 ounces organic tomato sauce
- 2 cups water (or more if it's too thick) — I substituted homemade beef bone broth here for extra nutrition, click here for 3 simple ways to make bone broth.
- Sea salt and pepper to your taste preference (we like a lot)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Sauerkraut — click here for the Nourishing Traditions sauerkraut recipe (optional)
Cook the meat and onion until brown. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add to a stock pot with the rest of the ingredients except the rice and kraut. Cook for about 20 minutes to get the cabbage tender and the flavors throughout. Right before eating, stir in the cooked rice and the kraut, if desired. Kip added the kraut when he made it again and said, “NOW it tastes like cabbage rolls, in a soup form.”
This made enough for five of us to have generous portions one night and we scarfed down the leftovers the next night. 🙂
- Also, try these Easy Low-Carb Cabbage Rolls
- More main dish recipes are here
- Have you seen my easy homemade mayo recipe?!
Meal Planning Help!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.