5 Dave Ramsey Money Principles & 5 Kitchen Kop Real Food Principles

May 20, 2010 · 36 comments

Have you heard these Dave Ramsey “sayings” that he nails home every chance he gets?  Here’s my Real Food version:dave ramsey

Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #1:

• Implement the Debt Snowball – Attack one debt at a time, the smallest first.  When that’s done, attack the next smallest debt.  Soon you’ll have gained the momentum you need to keep it going.

Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #1:

• Implement the Good Health Snowball – Start with one thing at a time so you’re not overwhelmed.  (You could go through these Rookie Tips.)  Change that one thing in your kitchen or in your diet, and when you’ve got that down, move to the next goal.  Soon you’ll have gained the momentum needed to keep you motivated for each next step!  (My Rookie class could help with this, too!)

Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #2:

• “Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else.” Drive beaters without payments, don’t spend money you don’t have, live within your means, save your money.  Then later when you’ve built up wealth, you can live like no one else.  You won’t be too buried in debt to have peace in your life.

Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #2:

• “Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else.” Don’t load up on sugar any old time you feel like it. (A good reminder for myself, too.)  Cook most of your food at home.  Don’t eat out for convenience sake.  Don’t keep processed foods around.  Then later when you’re in your 50’s or 60’s and haven’t been to the doctor in years, or you’re in your 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and still on the floor wrestling with your grand kids or out walking each morning pain-free, you’ll be living like no one else.

Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #3:

• Don’t be “normal”. Many may mock you for being “weird”, but remember that “normal” is broke and in debt.

Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #3:

• Don’t be “normal”. Many may mock you for being “weird”, but remember that “normal” is sick and tired.

Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #4:

• Don’t take advice from broke people.

Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #4:

• Don’t take advice from those whose advice has kept us sick.

Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #5:

• “The Borrower is slave to the lender.” (From the book of Proverbs.) Debt does not create peace in your life.

Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #5:

• The Truth will set you free.” (From the book of John.) Nutritional advice that makes common sense can free us from health issues that may have weighed on us for years or that could be right around the corner.  Good health can set you free to enjoy the life you’ve been given.

Can you think of more Dave Ramsey sayings that could apply to Real Food? Now just in case you’re thinking, “There are no guarantees that eating better will keep us in good health.”  You’re right, but read the Eight excuses for not eating Real Food for more about that.

If common sense money advice is interesting to you, be sure to watch the VIDEOS BELOW.

An extra blurb on giving:

As my regular readers know, I’m all about common sense, which is why I like to listen to Dave Ramsey.  I also love how he teaches people to give, something Kent & I feel strongly about and feel very blessed to have learned the value of years ago. If you don’t mind shedding a tear or two, check out a video I posted at my other blog that I came across when researching for this post:  An Amazing Video About Giving.  I was going to say that I wish we could write those kind of checks or help someone in huge ways like that…but then I realized that if someone is really struggling, $100 or even $10 or $20 can seem like that much to them.  We can all help others in some way. And you know what?  You’ll never be the same.  Because that’s why we’re here.

In this first video, Dave talks kind of fast but he gives a good overview of his basic money advice:

In this next video, Dave Ramsey does an interesting interview right here in Grand Rapids last year – he talks about the economy and tells people to chill out, it’s NOT as bad as the media makes it out to be.

photo

1 Heather May 20, 2010 at 3:57 am

There was a point a few years ago, when we had just moved to CA, where DH had a job but hadn’t been there yet long enough for a paycheck, and we had no housing and no vehicle–except for the U-Haul that, well, we had already kept it a few days longer than we were supposed to, ’cause we really had no choice–and we had a dog and a 6-month-old baby. A total stanger saw us trying to find a vehicle on craigslist at the library, overheard us discussing it, and gave us $100. That $100, along with other money we had, let us buy a junky old van so we could let U-Haul have their truck back, and a week or so later, we were able to borrow some money & combine it with a paycheck to get an RV & park it at an RV park, which is where we lived for the next 6 months, until we rented a house. But that $100 made a lot more difference than just the van–it made an untellable difference in our spirits. If ever you think it’s not worthwhile to give only a little bit–keep in mind that sometimes a person may only need a little bit to allow him to make the step he’s trying to take. And I would say that the people most in need of help are often those just starting a new job. When you are out of work, you can just stay home, not spend money, and, often, you have an unemployment check to at least try to pay bills. When you first start a new job, you have to come up with at least a couple of weeks’ gas money, possibly clothes, etc, when you have no money & no unemployment check because, after all, you are working.

2 KitchenKop May 20, 2010 at 11:17 am

What a neat story and great reminder of who might need our help the most! I also often think of those who are “the working poor” – they have a job, but it pays so little they can hardly make it. I think there are SO many like this out there… I’m always praying that God will show us WHO needs our tithe the most that month. Some months it’s not easy to tithe when we don’t have any “extra” – especially now that I’m not doing day care anymore, but we’ve made that a priority for years by taking it right off the top and He has always taken care of things.

3 Heather May 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm

We wouldn’t even consider ourselves “working poor”. DH is a computer programmer, but we had tried running a business of our own, went broke doing it, and were just getting back into the regular job thing–and at a time when there was just NOTHING available for him in the midwest. The only job he could find was in CA. And, if it’s not something like that, other sorts of catastrophes can happen to anyone–flooding, a major medical thing, Katrina, fire. Security in life is often a lot thinner than we like to think about. The old proverb, “There but for the grace of God go I”, is nothing but true.

4 KitchenKop May 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Heather, I didn’t mean YOU were considered “working poor”, I just meant that I think many are in that situation as well, or the many other tough times that any of us could find ourselves in, as you said. No one, especially in these times, could say, “It will never happen to me.” That’s for sure.

5 Musings of a Housewife May 20, 2010 at 7:04 am

Love it! :-)

6 Julie May 20, 2010 at 8:22 am

This was good. I like “live like no one else so that later you can live like no one else”–very sound advise for money and health.
    I am glad you touched the matter of giving. “The Lord loves a cheerful giver”

7 Jaime @ Like a Bubbling Brook May 20, 2010 at 8:24 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE Dave Ramsey. We finally were able to pay off all our debt and purchase our home with cash in 2007. It felt sooo great!

Prior to Dave, we are largely influenced by Larry Burkett. He was a great man!

8 KitchenKop May 20, 2010 at 11:12 am

I loved Larry Burkett, too!!

9 Cara @ Health Home and Happiness May 20, 2010 at 8:59 am

I love this Kelly! We love Dave Ramsey, I never thought to apply his principals to other stuff, but that’s so true :)

Now let’s go out and kill something and drag it home ;)

10 jeanne May 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

Love the connection !

11 FoodRenegade May 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Ha! I *love* this, Kelly! I’ve been a fan of Dave’s for a while. You are so CREATIVE. And awesome. This is just perfect, and totally made me smile.

~KristenM
    (AKA Food Renegade)

12 chanelle May 21, 2010 at 11:42 am

Here’s another one Dave says “Have $1000 in your emergency fund.” Real Food application would be, “Have ready to go meals in your ‘emergency’ food storage.” Keep a few easy meals on hand, either in the freezer, or quick meals you can throw together in the pantry. That way when a dinner-type emergency comes up (crying baby, appointment goes too long, etc.) you aren’t forced to get fake, processed or even fast food!

13 Amy Floyd May 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Two thumbs up for this one!

14 Jennifer Tiszai August 18, 2011 at 8:14 am

Love that idea! You know how when you hear the final piece of the puzzle you’ve been missing and it all just clicks into place? The emergency fund meals just did it for me. I’m a big Dave Ramsey fan too so that totally makes sense to me.

15 Tanya May 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

What about Dave’s saying about when you are trying to get out of debt you should be eating “beans and rice, and rice and beans”. I am sure that he was talking about “cheap eats” but that is some good healthy advice too!

16 KitchenKop May 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Chanelle & Tanya, those are good ones!

17 Jim Purdy May 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

QUOTE:
    Don

18 Robin May 23, 2010 at 11:34 am

I love this. It’s so true, and so simple… and yet the “average” Joe tells us to live like everyone else. Enough it enough! Thanks for sharing.

19 Lisa B May 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I love this. I never thought about putting Dave’s principles to something else. It makes perfect sense.

20 Hallee the Homemaker May 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm

“We can all help others in some way. And you know what? You

21 KitchenKop May 26, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Hallee,
    As someone who benefits directly from your & Gregg’s generosity (over and over you’ve shared your gifts of time, prayers and help with my blog issues), I know that I often pray you’ll continue to be blessed hugely! ‘Thank you’ doesn’t cover it, but I know God will. :)

22 jenni May 26, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Great post!! Dave Ramsey is so motivational. Good stuff!

23 Sonya Hemmings May 27, 2010 at 12:16 am

Kelly–I’m a big DR fan, too, but whenever I hear him talk about “living on beans and rice, rice and beans,” I find myself saying, “Just make sure the rice is soaked, and the beans are soaked or sprouted.” ;-)
    –Sonya

24 KitchenKop May 27, 2010 at 12:17 am

You should call in and tell him that! LOL! :)

25 christin May 30, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I love Dave Ramsey but the one thing that I hate and makes me sad is when people are at their worst, depressed and struggling. He tells them to go buy Ramen and to eat that alone until their debt is paid off. Ramen should not be considered food no matter what. Sad!

26 Sarah February 3, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Love it! I am going through Financial Peace University at my church now. Love your comparisons!

27 Joanna moore February 3, 2011 at 8:49 pm

What about, “pay the farmer now or pay the doctor later?” kind of like, save now or pay Murphy later. Or, pay cash now or pay interest later. Love the ones you came up with!

28 KitchenKop February 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Oooh, that’s a good one! :)

29 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook August 12, 2011 at 5:23 pm

this is great! I love Dave Ramsey’s principles

30 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook August 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Lol we are in the middle of this.obsessively Huge DR fans. My husband will love this ! Thanks!

31 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook August 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Great!

32 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook August 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Yay!! How awesome to find another traditional foods blogger that is a Dave Ramsey fan (and Christian!!) Great article!!

33 christin August 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm

It’s so odd that I just found this again!! We want to start his program soon. I’m worried about the eating ramen and beans and rice he talks about. We have health issues and HAVE to eat well and it has to be real food. What should we do?

34 KitchenKop August 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Good question. He always says to be smart about your health, so look into ways to eat well and save, too. Have you tried buying half or quarter of a cow to save big bucks that way? Or go in with friends to buy foods in bulk? Just eating IN saves loads of money. Eggs are inexpensive, those could be a daily thing and good for you, too! I hope those ideas help. :)